my chickens are dying

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by bigtim68, Mar 28, 2011.

1. bigtim68

bigtim68 New Egg

Aug 29, 2010
    first one was lying in the opening to the hen house and second was lying in the nest box, no visible injuries, they are 1yr old ri reds, i dissected both to see if there was anything obvious, yes i wore disposable gloves. one hardly had any yokes forming and one had several sacs and a soft shell near the vent, there was a lot of fat in the abdominal cavity, otherwise everything looked normal, ( btw) they are all about 8 lbs each, could i be feeding them too much? could it be a disease? i get layer pellets and crushed oyster shells at our feed store, do they need another type of grit as well? they have a 10'x10' enclosed run and hen house and their feeder gets filled daily and they have plenty of clean water, i had 6, one got pecked to death and the other 2 , just outright died yesterday, a month after the other. do i need to clean up everything and start over? Help!!!

2. NHchicks

NHchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    So sorry, bigtime! I had one 2 yr. old hen die this morning, she had been lethargic, but I don't know why. I hope there hasn't been an increase in chicken mortality, otherwise I might get a little paranoid...

3. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    I would go ahead and rule out the two most frequent problems: 1-mites/lice-check the birds near their vents and under the wings and if they have crests look there too and dust with seven dust if you see any 2-sonsider worming them. Just from reading this forum it appears these two seem to be the most prevalent problems and are not overly obvious unless you look.
    sharon

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by