1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My chickens are eating dog poo! Is this normal????

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by newchickmomma4, May 3, 2014.

1. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    its not that we want them to eat it, it was a joke , not a good one i guess. lol but short of following your dogs around all day with the scooper you really cant stop them. and if its not dog poo it will be something else just as disgusting.chickens will eat anything and dont quote me but i think their system is different somehow with the salmonella where it passes through and not in the egg. i remember reading about it before but not exactly how it worked.[​IMG]

2. BlessedCountry6

BlessedCountry6 Chillin' With My Peeps

I agree it was a joke!! lol, we won't be feeding our chickens dog poop. The truth is all animals eat poop. It is gross and so the best way for me to handle it is just laugh because life is too short. Some ppl like to laugh and not take life too seriously.

Last edited: May 4, 2014
  3. Spangled

Spangled Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2012
    Serenity Valley
    I'm sorry my comments bothered some. They weren't meant to. Yes, I can tell some of the replies were jokes and I did think they were funny and amusing. However, I don't think the original poster was joking, and there are actually many folks that read these postings that never become members and some of them will be giving or feeding their eggs to people who have compromised immune systems. Some small portions of life are sometimes serious ... sadly ... like getting a bad case of salmonella poisoning. A few of us worry about stuff like that. I had no intention of raining on your parade by taking life too seriously. Sorry. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    i apologize, you are correct.

5. BlessedCountry6

BlessedCountry6 Chillin' With My Peeps

I understand the concerns. I have a compromised immune system. I do believe it was a joke but it is also about info, interacting with others and having a good time. I think that all those can be combined if we are all will to be respectful even in something is said we don't agree with or that may upset us.

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2014
  6. Spangled

Spangled Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2012
    Serenity Valley
    I completely agree with you.

Thank you for your instruction and teachings. I will definitely take them to heart.

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2014
  7. ShockValue

ShockValue Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2010
    West Sound, Washington

Last edited: May 7, 2014
  8. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    I hope that they cook their free range eggs before they eat them. I do. But now a well aged beef steak, that's another matter.

9. Peeps61

Peeps61 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2014
    NW Florida
    My flock of 8 birds doesn't have access to the dogs' yard, but the dogs sure like the chicken manure! However, the flock does scratch around in and eat the horse manure out in the pasture. This helps it to dry out quickly and not draw so many flies. So, I guess we get a double benefit from it. It doesn't seem to cause any ill effects and the horses don't mind!

10. Twinkkitten

Twinkkitten Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2014
    Tucson, AZ
    Lol! Mine too. The flippin' eat anything. Anything.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by