My chickens are jerks 😂

Chickenlady1998

In the Brooder
Mar 12, 2023
My chickens are about 14/15 weeks. I think it’s only two of the 12, but someone keeps kicking the fake eggs out of the nesting boxes! I put them in there in hopes they’d see early on where the eggs go and that they hurt when they peck them. Should I pull them out? I’m going to place wood in front so it’s harder for them to just boot them out. Is this okay? Will they do it to their actual eggs?

its's exactly why i use milk crates as nest boxes lol. scratch them out now you little jerks!
I tried milk crates once, and I couldn't get the hens to go in them at all. I put a wooden rabbit nesting box in the coop, and they were all fighting over it. I guess my birds were just picky. 😄

That's one reason I want the nests open with fake eggs in them before they start to lay. If they are scratching the fake eggs or nesting material out it tells me to raise the lip. The other reason is that if they are going to sleep in the nests I want to know so I can fix that before they start to lay and I get poopy eggs.

Often pullets start looking for a good place to make a nest a week or more before they start to lay. Yours are still pretty young but those two may not be that far away form first egg. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom