My chickens are looking awfully poofy

NellaBean

Graceland Farms
10 Years
Mar 4, 2009
Broodyland, TN
My Coop
My Coop
Is it just the change in seasons are my chickens looking awfully.....fluffy these days?

I swear, my little red chicken just seems so much bigger than she used to be. Could it just be her age catching up? Finally maturing past that gangly pullet stage?

The girls who are looking heftier are my older girls...older being relative as they are probably getting close to 7 months old now.

I keep the feeder full of layer pellets (layena 16%) and they "free range" i my 1/2 acre yard all day. Their crops are always HUGE in the evenings. I do throw out "scraps" after work. Usually bread or something like that. Keep in mind I have 17 chickens out there, so whatever I throw out is eaten up within a couple minutes.

Can they be getting FAT off of the free ranging? Or just looking fluffy as the temps are going down? Or just getting mature?

Anything?
smile.png

My dad was visiting recently and was all "wow, your chickens are FAT" but I think he was just looking at the fluffy cochins. He doesn't know a skinny chicken from a fat chicken so his opinion doesn't count anyways
lau.gif

Quote:
They fluff up their feathers when it's colder. Cats and dogs fluff up their fur too. I swear my parent's outdoor cats double in size when it gets cold. It done is to trap a layer of warm air around the body.

My two Cochins are looking very fluffy these days.

My Cochin rooster "looks" like a giant, then I picked him up...he is all fluff! My Dominique pullets are 24 weeks and they are pretty solid, but the Cochins are 22 weeks and they are fluff balls, also slower to mature. They will be heavy chickens when they mature, but that will be some time later.

--Hugh

Humans fluff up when they're chilled, too. It's called goosebumps...
smile.png
Problem is, we don't have enough fur to make us poofy...

Maybe they are finishing up a molt and new fluffy feathers coming in? Mine look scraggly from the molt right now.

Back
Top Bottom