My chickens are not laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by lisatd, Oct 10, 2009.

1. lisatd

lisatd New Egg

Jul 12, 2009
    tylertown
    Hi i have 4 mixed chickens . they look like a cross bettween barred rocks and the ones with feathers on there feet. i was told when i got them in april they were 3 months old . They weren't . i got my first egg in sept .i got 3 the first day, then one or 2 every other day . now i'm down to an egg a day . I just bought 4 white leggerns . I was told they were laying well untill he had to pen them up about 3 weeks ago now they are not laying at all. I feed nutrina lay pellets. any ideas ? Thanks lisa

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    First, welcome to the forum. Glad to have you here.

I'm not sure where you are located. If you could modify your profile to show your approximate location, it could prove helpful without giving up too much privacy. We are fortunate to have members of this forum from all over the world. The answers to many questions can be different depending on where you are located.

There are several reasons hens stop or slow down laying. If you live in the northern hemisphere, my main guess is that your days are getting shorter and your hens are likely molting. Some breeds are more prone to it than others, but a lot of chickens reduce or stop laying when the daylight hours drop.

When the days get shorter, it often triggers a molt. Most hens greatly reduce egg production while molting. A molt can last a few months. Other things can trigger a molt, such as stress. The stress of moving might be enough, or going without water for a time.

Stress without a molt can greatly reduce egg laying. Again possibly the stress of moving or going without water, but also a predator attack, lights going off and on at night, adding to or removing chickens from your flock that upsets the pecking order, a whole lot of different things.

I also suspect that your combining the hens has upset the pecking order. You may have a few things working against good egg production. They will sort themselves out over time, but I'd advise patience right now.

Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by