My chickens are not roosting

miss jay's mama

In the Brooder
11 Years
Sep 9, 2008
northeast PA
I have six three almost four month old chickens. They will not sleep on their roost. Instead they huddle in the same corner night after night. During the day they will hang out on all of their roosts so they can easily reach them. When they still lived in our basement they would fight over their baby roost. Why aren't they roosting now?? Any suggestions.

Are they the same roosts they had as chicks? Chickens hate change. If they are not the same roosts, try picking them up and putting them on the roost at night.

I remember mine did not roost right away when I moved them from their brooder box to their permanent pen. They would all pile together in the same corner of the coop night after night. I, of course thought they would smother each other, but apparently they knew what they were doing.

I too saw them during the day on the roosts, so I knew the height was good. Sounds like yours are at a correct height as well.

Give them time, I think mine just needed to grow up a little and be more secure at night on a roost. I have no scientific proof of that, it's just what I think. At about 5 months old, I found them on the roosts. I would say, don't worry, they will get there.

Anne

What's the hurry? They will eventually figure it out. Mine huddled up for a while too. Then they all figured it out one day like a light switch in their little chicken brains!!!

Thanks for the suggestions. I've tryed putting them on the roost already-it didn't work. I'll go with the wait and see method. And no they are not the same roosts they had when they where chicks. They out grew their baby roost months ago.

Chickens seem to do their own thing....haha
mine go in their house during the day but roost outside in their pen all night. go figure...:|

Mine did it for a LONG time.. several months after going outside. They still do it when they get chilly. It's no big deal- they won't smother each other at that age
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom