my chickens are overheated? how to keep them cool in the summer?

ksmith

Songster
9 Years
May 24, 2010
Nor Cal
I just got back from vacation and my hens are panting and have their wings spread out. they have plenty of cold water and shade. what else can I do to help them? thanks!

run a small fan if you can. I use a clip fan to move air in the coop when its real bad. Water and shade are most important. Also, FYI, feeding scratch grain on very hot days should be avoided as it raises their body temp more.

I have a mister line set up in my chicken yard to help keep them cool, but the temps here in Northern Ca were 97 today and on top of the mister I had to wet down the ground in their chicken yard several times today to keep them cool! I also have a fan going in the chicken house
sad.png

Last edited:
Our chickens have a Misting System called "Ocean Breeze" that we got from Wal-mart . We put it under a tree. We also put some ice in their water and we have a little pool to keep their feet cold and cool them down. They have small fans in the coop also.
big_smile.png
Hope this helps !!!

I mist mine with the hose whether they like it or not.

I also rotate water containers in and out of the freezer, and have cold wet treats like fruit bits from the fridge.

I think I might get cheap bags of frozen veggies this year too, any thoughts on that?

Back
Top Bottom