1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My chickens are plotting against me!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by rockabilly7, Jan 13, 2009.

1. rockabilly7

rockabilly7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2008
    Florida panhandle
    I recently just built a new pen and run for my chickens and when I built it I specifically kept in mind keeping everything out and keeping them in. Well the last couple of days iv'e gone out there to feed and stuff I have noticed they have always been gathered at the back especially the two girls AND they have been digging holes but as soon as they see me they walk away and act as casual as possible! Am I losing my mind or are my chickens planning a escape???

2. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

Quote:Are you sure it's them digging? Could be a rat or squirrel, among a few things

3. beekybuzzard

beekybuzzard Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2007
    SC
    Could just be digging out holes to take their dust baths in. Mine like to have theirs along the edge of the fence too for some reason.

4. allisojo

allisojo Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2008
    Nuevo Mexico
    Mine are big hole diggers, and if I surprise them, they immediately flee their endeavor -- probably b/c they think I have treats. If I spend an hour or so at a time with them, just sitting, occasionally they'll dig when I'm around and take baths "with me." It's a very personal experience, I gather!

5. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Mine have dug huge holes in the run. They always come to the end of the run to see me.

no escape for them.

6. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Mine seem to prefer to dig dusting holes along the fence line.

7. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Have you seen "Madagascar"?
    Imp

8. hinky toes

hinky toes Out Of The Brooder

Nov 1, 2008
    Bozeman, MT
    Quote:I agree. I've observed the exact same behavior this past summer and that is what they appeared to be doing. They would burrow into about a three inch deep hole and wallow around in the dirt for what seemed to be hours.

I would be worried if they had a hack saw or file laying near by, then you probably have a complicated issue that requires law enforcement or, in the least, shackles.

9. lizardz

lizardz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    Grass Valley, CA
    Yes, they are plotting an escape! At least mine do. They exhibit the same behavior - digging at the back of the fence, moving away when someone comes, acting all casual - "what holes?" "we're not doing anythng, just dust bathing". Then, when I come home the next day, they've managed to escape - again. I know I have to rewire that section, but haven't had time. Keep stacking rocks (and I don't mean little ones, either) in the places they escape, but they always manage to dig or push or something enough to get out. Of course, they can figure out how to get out, but not back in, so if I get home late, I have to play "hunt for the chickies" in the dark - a very fun game [​IMG] Watch yours closely - I'm sure they're planning the same thing. [​IMG]
    Liz

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by