My chickens are plotting against me!

rockabilly7

Songster
11 Years
Dec 30, 2008
Florida panhandle
I recently just built a new pen and run for my chickens and when I built it I specifically kept in mind keeping everything out and keeping them in. Well the last couple of days iv'e gone out there to feed and stuff I have noticed they have always been gathered at the back especially the two girls AND they have been digging holes but as soon as they see me they walk away and act as casual as possible! Am I losing my mind or are my chickens planning a escape???

Could just be digging out holes to take their dust baths in. Mine like to have theirs along the edge of the fence too for some reason.

Mine are big hole diggers, and if I surprise them, they immediately flee their endeavor -- probably b/c they think I have treats. If I spend an hour or so at a time with them, just sitting, occasionally they'll dig when I'm around and take baths "with me." It's a very personal experience, I gather!

Mine have dug huge holes in the run. They always come to the end of the run to see me.

no escape for them.

Quote:
I agree. I've observed the exact same behavior this past summer and that is what they appeared to be doing. They would burrow into about a three inch deep hole and wallow around in the dirt for what seemed to be hours.

I would be worried if they had a hack saw or file laying near by, then you probably have a complicated issue that requires law enforcement or, in the least, shackles.

Yes, they are plotting an escape! At least mine do. They exhibit the same behavior - digging at the back of the fence, moving away when someone comes, acting all casual - "what holes?" "we're not doing anythng, just dust bathing". Then, when I come home the next day, they've managed to escape - again. I know I have to rewire that section, but haven't had time. Keep stacking rocks (and I don't mean little ones, either) in the places they escape, but they always manage to dig or push or something enough to get out. Of course, they can figure out how to get out, but not back in, so if I get home late, I have to play "hunt for the chickies" in the dark - a very fun game
roll.png
Watch yours closely - I'm sure they're planning the same thing.
tongue.png

Liz

Back
Top Bottom