My chickens are roosting in the eaves!

soniasilbert

In the Brooder
Feb 26, 2021
We got 8 week old pullets over a month ago and they immediately started roosting not on the nice wide roost but in the eaves above the coop window, which is higher than the roost. We let them do it because they were so scared of everything we were just happy they found a way to feel comfortable. However, now I'm trying to figure out how to clean those eaves - they're basically roosting on a shelf that must be covered in poop and it's really hard for me to get into it.

Should I block off the eaves and force them to roost on the actual roost? Or should I just try harder to clean the eaves better? Should I worry that they're roosting on a lot of poop?

They are a variety of breeds and are all roosting on the same level together.

Thank you for any advice!

We got 8 week old pullets over a month ago and they immediately started roosting not on the nice wide roost but in the eaves above the coop window, which is higher than the roost. We let them do it because they were so scared of everything we were just happy they found a way to feel comfortable. However, now I'm trying to figure out how to clean those eaves - they're basically roosting on a shelf that must be covered in poop and it's really hard for me to get into it.

Should I block off the eaves and force them to roost on the actual roost? Or should I just try harder to clean the eaves better? Should I worry that they're roosting on a lot of poop?

They are a variety of breeds and are all roosting on the same level together.

Thank you for any advice!
You should clean out the poop (because gross things will spawn up there) and block it off. They will rooster on the bar. Or you can make them one higher up.

Back
Top Bottom