My Chickens Are Roosting On Our Roof!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by ctomsheck, Jul 24, 2011.

1. ctomsheck

ctomsheck New Egg

Jul 24, 2011
    Hello, this is my first posting on BackYardChickens. I am very new to this whole chicken thing, and am going to have to do a lot of learning as I go.

I live in Western Washington and have six young chickens, the first three we got almost two months ago, and the next three we got yesterday, and are still under a heat lamp. We have a rather large back yard that is fenced and gated, and occupied only by the chickens.

The older ones were finding creative places to sleep at night until we finished the coop for them, and then they started putting themselves away in the coop at dusk, and seemed to like their new nighttime home. For some unknown reason they stopped going in the coop at night, and started roosting on the back porch railing. I would wait until dark and carry them to the coop and close it up. This has been going on for about a week. Tonight I heard them, but couldn't see them - until I looked up on the roof. I got them off the roof and into a cardboard box and took them to the coop again. It seems somewhat unreasonable to climb a ladder onto the roof and fetch the chickens down every night, but if I leave them there, they would appear to be no more than owl or hawk bait...

Is there someone with experience who can tell me what I'm doing wrong?

2. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    [​IMG]

I have had similar issues before. I would start closing them up in the coop a bit earlier. Use treats to entice them, catch them if that doesn't work. They should develop a routine soon. Once a dominant hen or rooster decides that the coop is the place to go at night, the rest should follow. [​IMG]

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I let my Icelandics out to free range for the entire day. When I went out to check and see if they were all on their roosts, the only one missing from that pen was my blue EE that I have renamed Stella.

4. cat1994

cat1994 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2010
    Southeast MO
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.
    [​IMG]

6. ctomsheck

ctomsheck New Egg

Jul 24, 2011
    Thank you, everyone, for your warm welcome and advice. I will try coaxing them into the coop earlier, and if that doesn't work rather quickly, I will add a wing trim.

7. Dutchgirl

Dutchgirl Not Dutch!

Apr 1, 2008
    U.S.A.
    Our chickens start doing that once in a while. Make sure that they NEVER GET LOCKED OUT OF THE COOP AT NIGHT! They will resort to another roosting place if they don't have their regular one available.

8. mamawolf544

mamawolf544 Unbreakable Heart

Apr 29, 2009
    alvarado, Tx
    [​IMG] from Texas [​IMG]
    My birds free range so they sleep everywhere [​IMG]

9. enjoyin' my chickens

enjoyin' my chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2011
    Hinesville, Ga
    [​IMG] [​IMG] glad your here.

10. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by