My Chickens Are Suddenly Gone

HorsesRMe123

Songster
Aug 1, 2020
Washington, USA
I had four chickens who are suddenly gone as of today. I keep their coop open during night so they just hop outside whenever. I noticed the gate to their run was open. I’m not sure if I left it open or what. If I did, well then I know why they’re gone. They ventured off somewhere. But, my question is could someone have stolen them? Do people steal chickens?

I don't know if people steal chickens... But this once happened to me.....
We had a duck that raised 12 baby chicks, she would escape and take them for a romp in the school next door. But one day, only the mother duck and 3 babies came back...
It was most likely a eagle, or something like that, but there is always a possibility...

We still have two other chickens. They’re new ones that we recently got from our family. Of course, they like to stay away from our chickens. We have another shelter area in the run where they like to sleep. They didn’t disappear like our other four. I’m trying to piece things together and figure out what it could be. I’m most likely thinking either someone stole them or I left the gate open. This is what I know about it.
-The gate was found open this morning
-The four chickens who are a tight flock are the ones who disappeared (not the other two)
-It’s a bit windy today, so maybe the gate opened up
-We looked for any evidence of poop or feathers outside the gate, there wasn’t any
-We searched around our area and didn’t find them
-We usually remember to close the gate

I just hope our chickens somehow turn up and come back. I hope a miracle happens and our chickens come back! We raised those chickens since they were little chicks. Two Rhode Island Reds and two White Leghorns. They also gave us a ton of eggs. So now we’re going to have to buy eggs.

They fly the coop?
snuffy.jpg

We still have two other chickens. They’re new ones that we recently got from our family. Of course, they like to stay away from our chickens. We have another shelter area in the run where they like to sleep. They didn’t disappear like our other four. I’m trying to piece things together and figure out what it could be. I’m most likely thinking either someone stole them or I left the gate open. This is what I know about it.
-The gate was found open this morning
-The four chickens who are a tight flock are the ones who disappeared (not the other two)
-It’s a bit windy today, so maybe the gate opened up
-We looked for any evidence of poop or feathers outside the gate, there wasn’t any
-We searched around our area and didn’t find them
-We usually remember to close the gate

I just hope our chickens somehow turn up and come back. I hope a miracle happens and our chickens come back! We raised those chickens since they were little chicks. Two Rhode Island Reds and two White Leghorns. They also gave us a ton of eggs. So now we’re going to have to buy eggs.

Widen your search area. If they ever free-range outside of their run, go in the general direction that they go when they're out of the run, then go further. Ask your neighbors if they've seen them. Team up with your family members to go in different directions. I'd search at least 200 yards (the length of two football fields, i.e. 600ft) or more from their run. In a day, a chicken can travel a substantial distance. They're likely going to be in need of water too, so take some with you in case you find them.

I wouldn't "wait to see if they come home". Chickens are highly inquisitive by nature and have a one-track mind for food and exploring. They could easily get so far away that they wouldn't find their way home by nightfall, and at nightfall, their risk of becoming prey increases substantially.

Back
Top Bottom