my chickens arent laying! help!

BackyardCountry

Chirping
8 Years
Aug 31, 2011
My Own Little World....
my chickens are 23 weeks old right now and they STILL arent laying. i have a rir, buff orp, ameracuana, and wyandotte and also an australorp, but she started laying about 4 to 5 weeks ago i dont understand whats wrong, i mean they should be laying and the fact that the other one is already started is weird. is there anything i can do??? or am i just overreacting???

Be patient. I know it is very hard waiting for the first egg, but hang in there.
smile.png

Ditto.... Most pullets will begin laying between 22 and 24 weeks of age. But.... we are just starting into the time of molting and also the daylight hours are getting shorter.
It will depend a lot on the breeding. Are their combs turning red? Check their vent. It should be oval instead of round as they get closer to laying. Check the spread of the pubic bones. Hold your pullet in one hand and with the other feel slightly below her vent. You will feel two bones, these are the pubic bones. Place your fingers between the bones. How many fingers will fit between them? You should be able to fit three fingers between her pubic bones if she is laying or about to start.
Patience is the key. Yes it is always a great joy to get that first egg but the girls will lay when they are ready.

My chickens are not chicks, they are mature chickens, given to me 2 weeks ago and the first nite, they laid 1 egg each and since then 2 weeks and 3 days and no eggs.....what is wrong....I searched...no hidden nests, no predators, because I lock them in their coop at nite....

it will take a few weeks after moving them/changing their routine... the reason you got an egg the first day was that egg was already in the pipeline...... you'll have eggs soon if you're providing everything they need, food, water, a coop, nest box etc....

Back
Top Bottom