My Chickens aren't laying in the nesting boxes

juliemcummings

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jun 26, 2012
I have 4 chickens that area about 1 year 7 months and 6 that are about 7 months, I never had a problem with the older chickens and when the young ones first started laying then had no problem either, but right around day light savings and when It started getting colder they started laying randomly all around the coop and run. any suggestions on how to get them back in the nesting boxes? I tried moving a box to near where they seem to by laying but they still just lay next to it, and I tried a wooden egg, but they just ignore it.

Nothing has changed in the coop / nesting boxes that you know of? Do they go in the coop happily at other times, they just don't go in to lay eggs? Is it all of them or just some of them so far as you know?

They come and go from the coop without a problem, but none of the eggs are in the nesting boxes.

Nothing has changed in the coop / nesting boxes that you know of? Do they go in the coop happily at other times, they just don't go in to lay eggs? Is it all of them or just some of them so far as you know?

Sam happens with me, but its ironic because they sleep in the nesting boxes. Always add fresh hay and stuff so its clean and nice.

I have no idea. I have a pullet who has just come into lay. (all my other hens have stopped laying for the time being.) She lays under the garden shed, and under the generator. Last few days I have kept the run door closed, she kicks the shavings out of ALL 8 nest boxes and lays her egg in the middle of the floor. I hope she gets this sorted out soon.

Last edited:
Check if you have mites or lice, chickens hate them ( understandably ) and going in the nest boxes may be uncomfortable for them.

If not try locking them all in the nest boxes in the morning for a couple hours and they may start using them again.
Also if you changed their bedding they are not to keen on that so you might want to change back to your previous nesting material.

Back
Top Bottom