My chickens arent roosting in there box!

danhymer

Hatching
10 Years
Mar 22, 2009
My Chickens arent roosting at night, they use the box through the day to lay there eggs in! I have two black silkies and 1 hybred wellsummer. They are choosing to lay together on the floor in the corner of the run!
Im concerned that they will get cold its semi sheltered by the rain and wind! Ive only had them a few days! Do I give them time and let them find there own way!

Ps I live in the uk(Variable weather)

My standard answer to this is always:

1. Make sure they can get to their roost- some need extra roosting 'steps' to make their way up- like mine who have clipped wings need an 18" step of 2"x4" all the way up to their roost board.

2. Put a light in there until 1/2 hour or 45 minute after dusk. If it's darker inside than out, they have trouble seeing to get around in the coop, and can't get settled. They see very poorly in low lighting- worse than you or I (and that's saying a lot, cuz' I'm legally blind uncorrected...)

I'm confused, you don't want them to roost in their nesting boxes. They are for laying and will become dirty very quickly if they are used for roosting. Chickens typically roost on branches/poles, not in nests.

Silkies do not roost, they prefer to sleep in a heap on the floor.

They have adequate room to get into the roost box throught the poop hole its just off floor level! and they have been in and out all day to lay there eggs! Am i been over dramatic?

Don't let them lay in the corner- it's not the cold you ought to fear, but outside night predators- I have heard many tales of raccoons reaching in and killing one without even getting in, etc. I think it may be the lighting.

I don't think that the UK has raccoons, does it? I'm not familiar with the predator situation where you are but locking them up at night is a good practice no matter what.

1. The hens should lay in the nesting boxes & do nothing else in there. You don't want them to soil the boxes.

2. You may have to lock the hens in the coop for a few days so that they learn to recognize that as their "go to" place.

Keep us posted!

"roost box"? Confused.
hmm.png
Do you mean to have them sleep in nest boxes? That is very bad. The eggs and nest will get dirty and gross. JennsPeeps is right on the dot with locking them in, but if they don't have one they need a roost BADLY.

Last edited:
And if you're not sure what a "roost" is, it's a bar or post on which they will perch. A 2x4" pice of lumber with the wide edge up makes a great roost.

No there aren't raccoons in the UK. Main chicken predators are foxes, owls, and weasels/stoats.

Back
Top Bottom