My Chickens Ate What!?! (Warning: Graphic Photos)

I went out last summer and found my hens fighting over a dead hummingbird. We had a bad storm the night before and I think that killed the hummer, because I really can not imagine a hen snatching a bird that fast. Anyway they ran under a bush with the body and I assume continued the fight over it.

I have seen my chickens going after sparrows that try to share their scratch. I've never seen them catch one though. I have no doubt that if they did catch one they would eat it.

This is all insightful! I've been browsing the net for info on chicken diets and I've seen enough evidence that I am convinced my rooster would eat me if I turned my back on him. Of particular interest are several videos on YouTube of chickens fighting over mice they caught, hunting rats, and chasing down even small dogs!

What wonderful animals! These beauties never cease to amaze me.

My own little pack of velociraptors!

"Be careful and don't pass out in the run"
Seriously had me cracking up!
lau.gif

Chickens truly are amazing creatures

You do realize that chickens are related to dinosaurs don't you?
big_smile.png

I have seen chickens kill and eat shakes, mice, each other and sometimes themselves. I once had a yard of hens that ate a skunk, scent and all. The only help they had was that I shot it and hung the trap up on a coop until I got home from work to dispose of the body. Biggest piece I found was the skull cap. The real old timers picked up road kill for their hens. They would wire say a squashed rabbet to the fence by its hind legs and cut a gash in the body with their pocket knife to get the hens started.

That's what made those organic free range yard eggs of yesteryear so scrumptious.
thumbsup.gif
Holy moly, very interesting stuff!

Back
Top Bottom