my chickens attacked/stressed by big dinasaur

scooter147

Songster
11 Years
Jul 30, 2008
Missouri
Came home from work yesterday afternoon and when I opened the back door to let the dog out I noticed that about 10 of my chickens were running around the back yard. So, I go investigate. Human door and run gate all locked and secure. I was a little confused on how they got out.
As I looked around I noticed a lot of leaves laying on the netting over the run and a lot of pecans and small twigs laying around the coop, run and pecan tree. So I look up and noticed that about a quarter of my pecan tree was missing. My coop is at the back of my property and power lines run along side of the coop and run.
So, the electric company was by to do trimming near the power lines. So I can only imagine my chickens were completely terrified by that big pre-historic dinasaur munching on the pecan tree over their little heads (boom truck).
The netting is secured with zip ties but there are points that that if a chicken were to panic
D.gif
and fly
D.gif
up against it could be easily lifted and allow them to escape. (only the light weight breeds managed to escape, the run fence is 6 feet high)
I could tell the flock was stressed they were not enthusiastic about their scratch they get each evening and most were on the roost by 6 and dusk is around 7.
So hopefully that dinosaur will find another tree to munch on today so my girls can have a litte R & R today.
lau.gif

It reminds me of the kids book "Are You My Mother?". The Giant Snort came into your chickies yard and was going to eat them. They know it, don't try to convince them otherwise.

mom'sfolly :

It reminds me of the kids book "Are You My Mother?". The Giant Snort came into your chickies yard and was going to eat them. They know it, don't try to convince them otherwise.

lau.gif

Aww, poor guys... it must have been horrible! Imagine if a huge dinorsaur came down into your home and started munching away!!

My poor 10 week old chickens faced their own peril today.... DH and I finished their run last night and today was their first foray into the "foreign land". Every time a good gust of wind came up they all ran for the pop door at the same time! Good thing we made it a little on the larger size! As it was we had a few pile-ups today.

As the day wore on they soon learned that the wind was not to be feared.... brave little birds that they are
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom