My Chickens Can Leave The Yard!!

FarmerBrownslilchicken

In the Brooder
10 Years
Aug 3, 2009
Austin
My chickens can slip throgh my iron fence around my yard. And i am afraid they will go into the street and get run over!!!!i dont want to pay to get the fence resized.

sad.png

Big bummer!!

I know that's a bummer first hand also. I hadn't had a chicken leave the backyard since we started free-ranging 7 mo ago. Yesterday, I went out to my truck and when I came back I heard a cluck. Now that was a new sound in this area. At first I thought I was hearing things or my hearing was getting better. I made the "here chick chick" call and nothing. Went to the side of the house but no chicken there. Came back to the front and looked closer and saw what appeared to be a speckled sussex in the vining weeds that have been aloud to grow up. My husband came out (I was too chicken to reach in and get her out) and pulled back the weeds and there was Queenie. He picked her up, handed her out and there was three eggs in there!! Don't know if she'd been there for days or not. I'm extremely busy with school and the kids take care of the chickens for me and we don't do a head count anymore. The little DD found her out again today. I guess I'll purchase a roll of chicken wire every month til I can get the acre re-enforced.

Last edited:
Quote:
ut oh you mean my speckled sussex when they start laying could do so under a bush? They 18 wks now & I was hoping in the next couple weeks for them to start laying & now I'm wondering if I should be checking the bushes... LOL They can be lil escape artists can't they?

Back
Top Bottom