My chickens didn't much appreciate the Quaker guy

Hi

On my days off I will cook up some oatmeal for my girls and add blueberries and whatever else that I might have left over and they just love it. Its still a little warm.
clap.gif
clap.gif
clap.gif
We have a chick that has a crooked beak (really crooked) and this is somethng she can dig right into it and actually get some food. She runs from one tub to another getting her full.
wee.gif
wee.gif
wee.gif

So I always feel good when I give them something that she can enjoy to.
droolin.gif
droolin.gif

I guess I am blessed with chickens that will eat ANYTHING! Whole raw pumpkin, yogurt, cabbage, oatmeal, you name it, they will eat it. I have yet to try anything that they turn their beak up at! They jump out of the coop and come running when they hear the back door slam because they know that I have a treat. I guess it would be like a picky kid, you can either give up or give it to them for the next meal and the next and the next...........

Quote:
Agreed, and they'll get with the program even faster if you sprinkle a favorite treat like scratch or boss over the top of that. They're worse then toddlers when it comes to trying new foods--always seem to act like it's going to eat Them!
gig.gif

I give my girls kefir grains and whey mixed with fast cooking oatmeal mixed with cayenne. I mix a batch each week, and then store it in the fridge and feed twice daily. They try to get it as I am spooning it into their bowl. But that's just my girls..... for instance, they HATE all greens, love tuna, love pumpkin, hate squash etc. I think they all have diff. taste buds... not too mention they get bored very quickly
tongue.gif
with the same thing (except the kefir with oatmeal LOL)

Mine eat oatmeal uncooked. It is less scary that way, and the rice swelling thing is not true. Birds have been eating rice for centuries with no ill effect.

Quote:
There I go again listening to someone whom I thought knew what they were talking about WITHOUT my doing my own research. Rice does not kill birds, nor does uncooked oatmeal. Sorry for the miss post, I really believed this based on what I have been told. The Internet is a wonderful thing to get the truth.

Sorry if I led anyone the wrong way --
th.gif
I have believed it for years. Thanks for setting me straight folks. Learn something new everyday.

Agreed, blueberries and cranberries...I want that wallet too! Oh wait, I shower my girls with waaaayyyy too many mealworms everyday.
hu.gif
Yikes, now those things are expensive! Mine don't care for yogurt/grapes/oatmeal/cauliflower or any of that but I will take everyone's advice and keep trying since they can be picky the first few times of trying something new.

I cook a large pot of quick oatsl and dry skim milk powder (generic brands to keep cost down) with water, microwave until pretty thick, then I further dilute the mixture with water until of a consistency and temp that they can easily eat. On a frosty or icy morning, this warm breakfast gets the flock off to a good start. They run me down when I come in their chickenyard with the pans. They end up flecked with all the bits they toss in the air while feasting! ~G

Back
Top Bottom