1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My chickens don't like their nesting boxes, they never have would this work? *New question and updat

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by stone_family3, Jan 29, 2012.

1. stone_family3

stone_family3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    I think I figured out one of the reasons why, but I'm thinking about switching it up. They really like making their own nests in bales of hay and laying there. Would it be totally daft to just give them some bales of hay along the wall and let them make their own nests?

Here is one of the reasons they don't like the first nesting box, apparently it has been commondeered by a rescued stray rabbit.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 31, 2012
  2. they usually like covered boxes. and i would give them straw, its the way they do it in the wild. if they like it then i would try

3. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Many hens also prefer it be a small "cave", thus most boxes are cubes. They like those boxes turned away from any direct light or a window. They like it to feel "hidden" and private.

4. stone_family3

stone_family3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    I've tried small cave like boxes, but they keep going back to the bales of hay. I was thinking of making a small crate for the hay to sit in so they would actually sit into the crate

5. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

I guess there's nothing that can be done. Best regards,

6. ziL

ziL Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2011
    Oswego County, NY
    At least they don't lay under the perches like mine. :rolleyes:

7. thaokou21

thaokou21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    Arkansas
    mine hens hate it when the nest is too low. They would always take the higher nest.lol.

8. Knock Kneed Hen

Knock Kneed Hen California Dream'in Chickens

Feb 15, 2010
    So. Cal.
    Try putting covered boxes filled with hay and cover your hay for a while until they get used to using the boxes. Leave the box you have there for the rabbit, it you move it then the rabbit just may relocate to the new nest boxes.

9. gambit2178

gambit2178 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2011
    CALI
    I had the same issue with my girls, then tried moving them and no luck
    [​IMG]
    So I used a little creativity ands viola...they are all happy, staying in their nest, with their own eggs and not on top of one another
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    The one behind the fence is the one close to hatching day...the others are two weeks apart from each other.
    [​IMG]

10. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by