1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My Chicken's Feathers Are Falling Out!!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by The Bantam Guy, Oct 28, 2013.

1. The Bantam Guy

The Bantam Guy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2013
    I dont even know :p
    HELP!

My Cochin's Feathers are falling out it only leaves the spine is this Mite or Illness or just other chickens pecking her

2. DesigningLife

DesigningLife Out Of The Brooder

Sep 29, 2013
    Michigan
    If you're experiencing shorter days and cooler temperatures, your chickens are probably molting (as all birds do) to replace old feathers. Birds also molt as they're growing and maturing. Typically, their egg production tapers off as well. If it is a molt, feathers will grow back sometime between 3 weeks and 12 weeks depending on the individual chicken. During a molt, it is a good idea to provide extra protein with sunflower seeds, cooked eggs or other protein-rich feed. If the chickens seem healthy and act normal other than losing feathers, I would assume this is simply their natural process of molting.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by