My chickens fight and charge at each other! HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ownerof7chicks, Jan 21, 2014.

1. ownerof7chicks

ownerof7chicks Out Of The Brooder

Oct 20, 2013
    My chickens will fight each other! They will peck each other and charge at each other! I watch them from my window and when they start fighting I hit the window and they look up and stop fighting. It is mostly my 3 roosters that fight but sometimes the fight the girls. I want them to stop fighting incase I am not there and I am not sure if they are going to hurt each other!

Please help! If you have any suggestions please reply! Your answers will be greatly appreciated!

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    How old are they. Can you separate them or remove some of the roosters? If you have seven chickens total and three are roosters, that is too many roosters. They are going to cause problems with over mating the hens if they aren't already. If you can separate them you could have a pen just for the roosters and one just for the hens, usually (unless they are a really gamey breed) the roos will get along fine without any girls to fight over, especially if they have been raised together..

3. ownerof7chicks

Oct 20, 2013
    I only have 5 chicks actually 2 died after I made my account. I didn't know I had 3 Roos until around yesterday. I bought them from the state fair. We forgot to ask the breed and if they were female or male. I only have 2 hens so I don't want to lose any more chicks roo or hen. They are 3 months and a little bit more old.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2014
  4. Peep-Chicken

Peep-Chicken Overrun With Chickens

Jun 10, 2013
    Michigan
    My Coop
    Do you have pictures at all?

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    This is what chickens do. They fight each other to establish dominance, who is boss over who. Sometimes one skirmish and it's settled, sometimes it's drawn out over several months, and even then not entirely static.

You have 3 roosters and 2 hens, correct? You're going to need a plan to manage these birds, they can NOT live together. That's too many roosters for the hens, and your hens can literally get ganged up on and damaged from being overmated. If you think roosters sparring is bad, you won't believe how awful seeing 2 or 3 roosters ganging up on an unprepared hen is.

Your options are basically:
    1. Get rid of 2 roosters. Keep 1 rooster and the 2 hens, and see how things go as far as him overmating them.
    2. Separate them by gender, house the roosters separate from the hens. When the roosters don't have females to fight over, they usually calm down quite a bit. This is not guaranteed, though, they can still fight quite a bit.
    3. Get over a dozen more hens [​IMG] so the roosters can spread the lovin around. This won't necessarily stop them from fighting, though.

2 people like this.
  6. ownerof7chicks

Oct 20, 2013
    Well I'm not totally sure of their gender yet so I want to make sure that it is the correct gender before I make any sudden acts. If I really have 3 Roos and 2 hens, I will consider your answers.

7. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    If they are 3 months old you should be able to tell gender. If you aren't sure post some pictures.

8. x2

9. troy4

troy4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2013
    In da Country Coop
    The hens will disrespect all the roosters are doing is setting them straight!

10. Papas Chickens

Papas Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2014
    Dateland Arizona
    I agree if you have three roos and two hens they need to be seperated. A good ratio is one roo to ten hens, plus how big is your coop and run this could also be a issue.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by