My chicken's foot got wet and froze at 14F. What to do?

JuliaSunshine

Songster
Apr 3, 2022
West coast Canada
My husband put a bowl of water in the coop when it's 14F this morning. (I told him not to, explaining that they will knock the bowl over, but he did it anyways while I was sleeping. He admitted that he was being a knucklehead and is now apologetic and repentant, according to his words.)
That was 7:30am and when he went down again at 9:30am, the water bowl was knocked over.
At 11:30am he found a chicken sitting in the corner, shivering, and brought her indoors.
Yes, she must be the one who knocked over the the water bowl and got her foot wet.
One of her feet looked a bit redder and cold to the touch. She was favoring the other foot.
I soaked her feet in 100F for 10-15 minutes and put her back in a cage in a room kept 53F.
She moved a bit in the cage to eat treats and her feet looked okay and felt warm.
One foot felt slightly colder than the other but not too cold.
Should I worry about her getting frostbite?
What else should I do now?
I'm going to keep her indoors until the temp go up to 40F in a couple of days.

Another question:
I have another chicken whose feet look a bit red but she's moving about fine.
How can I tell if she also had her feet wet or not?

Here's a helpful article on treating frostbite on chicken's feet: https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...to-know-about-injury-care-and-recovery.78168/

When it comes to possible frostbite, don't put the spot in hot water. Use warm water instead. When a spot like that is thawing, it is very painful, so you just want to be mindful of that.

With the other chicken, I would bring her in for a few minutes to thaw out her feet too. I wouldn't bother soaking them though. They could be just cold. How are both hens now? And do they have a better water setup now?

Here's a helpful article on treating frostbite on chicken's feet: https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...to-know-about-injury-care-and-recovery.78168/

When it comes to possible frostbite, don't put the spot in hot water. Use warm water instead. When a spot like that is thawing, it is very painful, so you just want to be mindful of that.

With the other chicken, I would bring her in for a few minutes to thaw out her feet too. I wouldn't bother soaking them though. They could be just cold. How are both hens now? And do they have a better water setup now?
Thank you. Now I'm soaking the third chickens feet.
They have a nipple waterer in the coop and I'm upset that my husband still wanted to put the water bowl in there nonetheless.
Anyways, they seem okay for now but I don't know how they would act if they got a frostbite.
Their feet look pretty normal for now.

Thank you. Now I'm soaking the third chickens feet.
They have a nipple waterer in the coop and I'm upset that my husband still wanted to put the water bowl in there nonetheless.
Anyways, they seem okay for now but I don't know how they would act if they got a frostbite.
Their feet look pretty normal for now.
You're welcome. Please keep this thread updated on their progress.
As far as putting the bowl in there, I can understand why he did it. Nipple waterers can sometimes freeze, and I can imagine the metal piece can get very cold, even to the chicken's beak. If you could get a base waterer on a heated base, it probably would work the best. ;)
Are any of them standing or walking on their feet at all?

You're welcome. Please keep this thread updated on their progress.
As far as putting the bowl in there, I can understand why he did it. Nipple waterers can sometimes freeze, and I can imagine the metal piece can get very cold, even to the chicken's beak. If you could get a base waterer on a heated base, it probably would work the best. ;)
Are any of them standing or walking on their feet at all?
Yes, I guess he was worried about them but getting water in case the nipple waterer freezes. We'll get a heated waterer in the future.

They're all standing on their feet. The first one didn't use one foot at first but after soaking she seemed to be using it.

If the foot didn't freeze solid, odds are nothing terrible will result.
Thank you. That's good to hear.
Now I have 4 chickens indoors 55F , three crammed in a dog cage.
They seem to be standing and moving normally.
I'm hoping to put them back out tomorrow.
Tomorrow it's going be 32F day and 28F at night.
How long does it tak to see if they got a frostbite or not?
If they look okay and move fine tomorrow, does that mean they didn't get it?

Back
Top Bottom