My chickens go crazy for dollar store bird seed

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by petalumapaul, Sep 28, 2016.

1. petalumapaul

petalumapaul Out Of The Brooder

I like to give my chickens a little snack from time to time. A little crust left over from my breakfast, the compost, carrot peels.
    But they just go crazy for this bag of wild bird seed I got at the dollar store. Two pounds for 99 cents.
    The main ingredient is milo, which I believe is sorghum.

Boy they love it. I have ten chickens and I toss out about a half cup, just as a treat.

[​IMG]

2. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Wild bird seed is a great treat, but definitely be careful with it. It's the nutritional equivalent of candy for chickens, and it will throw their diet off quite a bit if fed in too high of quantities (more than 10%). Considering that chickens don't eat a whole lot in the first place, 10% of the diet ends up being a very small amount.

3. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Wild bird seed is high in fat for Wild birds....Not the best thing for Chickens to eat....

Cheers!

4. PingoBags

PingoBags Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2016
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Mine go crazy for dollar store feed too. The feed I get is a 3.5kg bag for $2.50 Cad.
    It looks more like squirrel feed though, whole corn, cracked corn, small whole sunflower seeds and lots of other random things.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by