my chickens have lice!! help?!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Lillichloe, Jan 27, 2015.

1. Lillichloe

Lillichloe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2014
    help! how do I get rid of lice on my chickens?! I looked over the chickens that squat for me when I approach them but never look at their vent (idk know why? cause it seems gross and weird) . They are 7 months old and haven't started laying eggs yet (most of them) so I thought I'd look at their vent. Well I saw lice crawling around their vent area no feathers missing yet. one was noticeably worse than the other that I saw lice on. What do I do?!
    We've been eating the eggs from the ones that are laying, so I hope that is an ok thing to be doing

2. justplainbatty

justplainbatty Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
    the eggs from the hens are ok to eat. Clean out your coop thoroughly, dust floors, crevices, nest boxes with sevin dust (poultry dust) dust every chicken with the dust, right down to the skin especially around vent, under wings and the head. Be careful not to get the dust in their eyes nose or mouths. Repeat the whole process in 7 to 10 days.Check all birds every couple of days after to make sure lice are gone. You cannot get lice from your birds (just in case you were worried). Good luck! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by