My Chickens Haven't been laying at all

Pixlitol

Hatching
Dec 14, 2020
I have 4 Chickens, 2 Leghorns and 2 Isa Browns. They are all about 7 - 8 months old. A few weeks ago they were laying every day, for some reason they stopped laying for about 3 weeks now, I have no idea what's wrong, they've all been eating, drinking and running around and they look perfectly healthy. I'm just looking for some advice. I've also seen a few lice on one of my leghorns but not the others, could that be the case?

Hi :frow and welcome to BYC! Where in this world are you located? If you are in the Northern Hemisphere, you are probably suffering from what the rest of us are - short daylight hours. The only cure for it is pretty much waiting for the earth to tip on its axis and give us the Winter Solstice, resulting in longer days. In a few weeks your hens should get back to the business of laying eggs again! Good luck!

Hi :frow and welcome to BYC! Where in this world are you located? If you are in the Northern Hemisphere, you are probably suffering from what the rest of us are - short daylight hours. The only cure for it is pretty much waiting for the earth to tip on its axis and give us the Winter Solstice, resulting in longer days. In a few weeks your hens should get back to the business of laying eggs again! Good luck!
Hey, I'm located in Australia and we have about 12 - 14 hours of daylight

I have 4 Chickens, 2 Leghorns and 2 Isa Browns. They are all about 7 - 8 months old. A few weeks ago they were laying every day, for some reason they stopped laying for about 3 weeks now, I have no idea what's wrong, they've all been eating, drinking and running around and they look perfectly healthy. I'm just looking for some advice. I've also seen a few lice on one of my leghorns but not the others, could that be the case?
20201204_10372515.jpg

Hey, I'm located in Australia and we have about 12 - 14 hours of daylight
Are you free ranging?
They may have found a 'better' place to lay.
Free range birds sometimes need to be 'trained'(or re-trained) to lay in the coop nests, especially new layers. Leaving them locked in the coop/run for a week or so can help 'home' them to lay in the coop nests. Fake eggs/golf balls in the nests can help 'show' them were to lay. They can be confined to coop and maybe run 24/7 for a few days to a week, provided you have adequate space and ventilation, or confine them at least until mid to late afternoon. You help them create a new habit and they will usually stick with it. ..at least for a good while, then repeat as necessary.

Oh, and Welcome to BYC! @Pixlitol
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Here's how to add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1607956429177.png

Back
Top Bottom