My Chickens Head went bald

Gersbud

Songster
12 Years
Apr 25, 2007
Central Michigan
When I went out to the chickens yesterday I found my BA has a bald head :eek: . I didn't see this coming never had problems with her before. She has never lost a feather except for molting. I just don't understand why she has become a baldy. I would post a picture but I do not know how to post one on BYC. Anyone have any ideas as to why
woot.gif

Do you have a roo in with her? If so that is probably your culprit. This happens when the "mating" process occurs. The roos tend to bite and the heads of others while that is happening. If there is no roo in with them then hopefully someone else will reply because I couldn't tell you.

My understanding is that roos are responsible on the feathers missing from the saddle area, not the head (it's just not that kind of mating).

If your hens have gone bald, it's probably something else. I've had four baldies - three now and the fourth a few months back. Good news is the head feathers seem to come back rather quickly.

Roosters also take the feathers off the back of the hens head plus their saddle and wing area when mating....

If you have a rooster thats what is doing it.....if not look for bugs on them...mites or lice...or you could have a hen thats pecking each other on the roost at night....

Last edited:
my little mille fleur roo grabs the top of the head of my dorking hen. She's going bald where he grabs her. He also grabs her comb. My bantam birchen cochin is also bald where he grabs her.

smile.png

Thanks for all the good suggestions on why my poor BA is going bald. I guess I never thought of Rudy being the culprit. I have all standard size chickens except for 2 Golden Lace Polish and the Rooster they are all bantams. Didn't think he was big enough.
yippiechickie.gif

6 of my hens have bald heads now too, I think it's from the other hens establishing the pecking order. I hope the feathers grow back soon, they have been bald all winter, so hopefully once the nice weather gets here, and they can got outside, there won't be so much picking going on!!

Back
Top Bottom