1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My chickens just scared the poo out of me!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Rooneytune, May 14, 2011.

1. Rooneytune

Rooneytune Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2011
    Tacoma
    I went to close up the coop for the night and I checked to make sure everyone was in a "cozy". When I looked in I saw four peacefully chickens snoozing on the roost, but I have eight chickens! the other roost was empty and so was the nesting box! I opened the big door and stuck my head in, sometimes they hid behind the door....nothing! I start to get really scared when I hear a little chicken noise from above me! Four of my chickens were perched an the pole I had put across the rafters of the coop to hang their food and water from! the pole is almost 6 feet off the coop floor! I had no idea they could get up there!!!! Any suggestions for how to keep them off?

2. shellyga

shellyga Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2010
    Milner
    [​IMG]

no suggestions as they love anything way off the ground it seems
    I had a somewhat similar story.. I was missing one chicken and finally found her in the big box of hay WAY up on top of the nest box where we store it.

Shelly

3. CricketYang

CricketYang Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2010
    Mason, MI
    Clip their wings?

4. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    Why not just let them be? Eight of my 13 chickens roost in the rafters. I just leave them - they're not hurting anything up there, and I figure if a mink or weasel were to get in there, they'd be safer than the ones on the roost.

5. AnaD

AnaD Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2011
    N. Ca
    Bumblefoot might be a good reason why they shouldn't roost up there. Clipping a wing on each might do the trick.

6. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    How does roosting up high cause bumblefoot? Just asking because I've never heard of that before.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by