My chickens just scared the poo out of me!

Rooneytune

Chirping
8 Years
Feb 18, 2011
Tacoma
I went to close up the coop for the night and I checked to make sure everyone was in a "cozy". When I looked in I saw four peacefully chickens snoozing on the roost, but I have eight chickens! the other roost was empty and so was the nesting box! I opened the big door and stuck my head in, sometimes they hid behind the door....nothing! I start to get really scared when I hear a little chicken noise from above me! Four of my chickens were perched an the pole I had put across the rafters of the coop to hang their food and water from! the pole is almost 6 feet off the coop floor! I had no idea they could get up there!!!! Any suggestions for how to keep them off?

lau.gif

no suggestions as they love anything way off the ground it seems
I had a somewhat similar story.. I was missing one chicken and finally found her in the big box of hay WAY up on top of the nest box where we store it.

Shelly

Why not just let them be? Eight of my 13 chickens roost in the rafters. I just leave them - they're not hurting anything up there, and I figure if a mink or weasel were to get in there, they'd be safer than the ones on the roost.

Bumblefoot might be a good reason why they shouldn't roost up there. Clipping a wing on each might do the trick.

Back
Top Bottom