My Chickens keep dying of the same Symptoms/Cause??

Billy Mahone

Songster
Oct 15, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Sorry guys i have posted about this issue in the past but i'm still not sure whats going on or what to do?
I've lost about 6-8 chickens in the past 4-5 months.
My last 3 that died had very identical symptoms, difficulty breathing, eyes looking like a mess, lost of appetite etc..
I took one of them to a vet who checked him out but couldn't actually tell me what was wrong other then "some sort of respiratory issue" and provided Lincospectin powder to give all my flock until it was finished.....Those 3 ended up dying and for a while things were ok.
Now my most beloved rooster is showing the same symptoms for the past 2 days. He has no energy, difficulty breathing, not eating and hasn't even crowed for 2 days.
Unfortunately there is only one vet in my area who would actually look at birds/chicken and I've lost my trust with them after the first time. That small bit of powder they give me cost me $200!

I'm really frustrated and want to find whats causing this but not sure what it is.
Could it be my shed/coop due to lack of air flow, do i need to make more windows?
Theres some pigeons / Mynas birds that hang around my chicken area, could they be bringing in some sort of disease?

I have a couple videos of my rooster today and honestly, I'm worried he won't make it till tomorrow morning.
I have already separated him from others but he has already been with them for 2 days.

Have several other smaller chicks, not sure if they will get sick also??

EDIT: I forgot to mention that when i did take one of my chickens to the vet, i told them that i suspect it was mycoplasma after reading about it and symptoms were similar. The vet dismissed this and told me it wouldn't be that so i don't know :/

First video below is of the ones who died couple months ago.
Second and 3rd videos of my current rooster.

Capturex.JPG

20211006_132835.jpg

Please any advice you guys provide would be highly appreciated.

I agree it does sound like a respiratory issue, we use Tylosin powder for our birds. It usually cleared up in a few days for us. Mine would sound really gurgly, sneezy, and had goopy eyes. I had 1 that was really bad that would gasp.

That's just my 2 cents, I would wait for an expert to chime in though.

So sorry for your loss!😔

I agree it does sound like a respiratory issue, we use Tylosin powder for our birds. It usually cleared up in a few days for us. Mine would sound really gurgly, sneezy, and had goopy eyes. I had 1 that was really bad that would gasp.

So sorry for your loss!😔

So sorry for your loss!😔
Where do you get Tylosin?

Sorry guys i have posted about this issue in the past but i'm still not sure whats going on or what to do?
I've lost about 6-8 chickens in the past 4-5 months.
My last 3 that died had very identical symptoms, difficulty breathing, eyes looking like a mess, lost of appetite etc..
I took one of them to a vet who checked him out but couldn't actually tell me what was wrong other then "some sort of respiratory issue" and provided Lincospectin powder to give all my flock until it was finished.....Those 3 ended up dying and for a while things were ok.
Now my most beloved rooster is showing the same symptoms for the past 2 days. He has no energy, difficulty breathing, not eating and hasn't even crowed for 2 days.
Unfortunately there is only one vet in my area who would actually look at birds/chicken and I've lost my trust with them after the first time. That small bit of powder they give me cost me $200!

I'm really frustrated and want to find whats causing this but not sure what it is.
Could it be my shed/coop due to lack of air flow, do i need to make more windows?
Theres some pigeons / Mynas birds that hang around my chicken area, could they be bringing in some sort of disease?

I have a couple videos of my rooster today and honestly, I'm worried he won't make it till tomorrow morning.
I have already separated him from others but he has already been with them for 2 days.

Have several other smaller chicks, not sure if they will get sick also??

EDIT: I forgot to mention that when i did take one of my chickens to the vet, i told them that i suspect it was mycoplasma after reading about it and symptoms were similar. The vet dismissed this and told me it wouldn't be that so i don't know :/

First video below is of the ones who died couple months ago.
Second and 3rd videos of my current rooster.

View attachment 2915120

View attachment 2915121
Please any advice you guys provide would be highly appreciated.
That’s a beautiful Roo! I’m wondering if this could be a mite infestation getting into the respiratory system. I read about that in “The Chicken Health Handbook”. That might explain the intermittent recurrence. Research that & check your birds. Good, good luck. I feel for you.

You can get Tylan (tylosin) powder here:
https://jedds.com/products/tylosin-powder
Dosage for chickens is 1 tsp per gallon of water changed every 3 rd day for 3-5 days. Only mix by adding water to the powder or it does not mix well.
Tylosin can treat symptoms of mycoplasma (MG) not cure it . They remains carriers for life. Close your flock and no birds should ever be rehomed. If you lose a bird, send it in for a necropsy to make sure of the disease you are seeing.

That’s a beautiful Roo! I’m wondering if this could be a mite infestation getting into the respiratory system. I read about that in “The Chicken Health Handbook”. That might explain the intermittent recurrence. Research that & check your birds. Good, good luck. I feel for you.
Hey Birblove,
The rooster didn't make it.
Your comment is interesting as i think this may be the cause, not sure?
Unfortunately I've got 4 other chickens that have gotten sick and I've isolated them. It started off with 1 last week and as days have gone by, i currently have 4 with the same symptoms, its either one or both eyes have slowly closed off with foam in it...
I've been giving them Oxymav B which is what my local pet shop recommended after i told them about the symptoms.

Just tonight i went into my coop and noticed one of my gold laced wyandotte had both of her eyes closed, unable to open it..As i took a closer look, there was all of these lice bastards going in and out of her eyes (Video attached)... I poured some salty water on her eyes and she seem to feel abit better but as time went on, more of the bastards came out again.

Capture.JPG

I could really use some guidance here please.
Should i keep giving the Oxymav B?
Anything else i should do?

Where are you located? It helps to list your location in your avatar so that we know what products may be available in your area. The lice need to be treated right away. Are there white clumps of lice eggs seen at the base of feathers on the body? Permethrin is a good product to use at 10 day intervals , and for treating the coop, once all bedding is removed. Pestene or sulfur powder may help if permethrin is not available. Lice shampoo may help, but check the label. Ivermectin may also help, but there is a lengthy egg withdrawal time. Lice hatch every 10 days, so treatment has to be repeated to get the newly hatched lice at least twice.

Since you are seeing multiple chickens with respiratory disease, it could be mycoplasma (MG.) All of your flock may carry this disease for life. The oxymav is one antibiotic that can treat MG. I would give it for 7 days. Follow your label directions and make sure the sick birds are taking enough of it. You may want to separate the sick birds to treat them only.

Back
Top Bottom