My chickens keep pecking my duck until he bleeds

vllang

Chirping
11 Years
Nov 13, 2008
South Carolina
When I got my chickens I got 2 baby ducks, one died the other lived and lived well with the chickens until they graduated outside. They are in a large coop with a large run but the chickens are alway pecking at the ducks wings until they bleed. I take him in the house and put him in a pen until he recovers and then put him out there again. Is there a way I can stop them from hurting the duck? I am ready to give the duck away just to save his life.

They are probably pecking at the red on his wings as they come in. The only way is to separate him but that is bad because he will be lonely. Where are you located, if you were close, I would take him to put with my lone new baby ducky(I say new but she is like 2 months old).
wink.png

Last edited by a moderator:
He needs a duck friend and a pen of his own. I do not advocate mixing of fowl in the same pens for these types of issues. Also when your drake comes into mating season he will mate your hens and ducks are ruthless in what they do with females.

Good point MissPrissy!!! Yes they are ruthless on the poor chickies. That is why ours no longer get to stay with each other. Our Pekin adults are the worst!!!!

So vllang, what kind of duckie do you have and did you say he was male.

My duck gets pecked on by my eight chickens, I will not say by all eight. However when his sibling got eaten he wants friends. I have a separate pen, but is just a fence between them. I let them hang out and then put them in their separate beddings.

That's seems to be fine. Animals are animals.

Back
Top Bottom