My chickens must be miserble.

AAJ

Chirping
8 Years
Oct 21, 2011
I have silkie chickens and since its been hot lately I have had a terrible problem with the fly's. How do I get rid of the flies. Also how do I keep my chickens cool during the summer. They are silkies, which get hot in the summer. Please reply.

Last edited:
I used fans, ice water and ice bottles that I froze and put out for them to lie against. I also made yogurt fruit blocks that I would give them. You can also freeze watermelon and other fruits for them to eat.

Spinkle DE or Sevin on the coop floor or where ever the flies are hanging out, and get a fly trap. Since flys are bad with every livestock, the feed store has some pretty nice fly traps.

Hi! If they flies are in the coop, hang copious amounts of those pine tree vanilla scented car fresheners. We did this is a horse barn as a joke and all the flies left! Have been using the trick ever since! :) (that is if you can stand the ultra-vanilla smell!)

To keep the chickens cool, I keep ice in their water (freeze 2 ltr soda bottles). I use the 5 gallon buckets with the nipples. Even her is SC it keeps the water surprisingly cool all day! Also, I run a sprinkler into a baby pool for a little bit. The chickens stand in the cool water.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom