1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My chickens so far

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by stevenrushing, May 8, 2017.

1. stevenrushing

stevenrushing New Egg Premium Member

Mar 27, 2017
    Midland Texas
    Today my chickens are 13 weeks old. I started with 10. Two died within the first couple days. They were small and weak and some of you might have been able to save them, but I am new to chickens and didn't have the knowledge or probably the time to spend nursing them back to health. Of the 4 others that I no longer have, 2 were probably hens, and I am fairly sure the other 2 were little roos. They disappeared, one by one, 3 or 4 days apart, each. I didn't know what was happening. After the third one went, I went out and bought a nest camera to see what was going on. I got a nice video (which I am not sharing) of a feral cat jumping my 6.5 foot fence and running off with a chicken. It was 9 weeks along then. I have since completely enclosed my side yard so nothing can get to them.

[​IMG]

It is a little more than 7 feet tall, 20 feet long and 7 feet from sidewalk to side fence. I know lots of people don't trust chicken wire, but I don't have to worry about dogs (as they still have to get in my yard) or other big predators. I just worry about that darned feral cat. That is a standard Tractor Supply chicken coop inside the big run.

[​IMG]

That is all 4 of them. Pretty sure all 4 of them are pullets, and I have been told that 2 are orpingtons and the other 2 (the red ones) no one agrees about. Some say production reds, some say rhode island red, some say new hampshire reds. I honestly don't know.

https://video.nest.com/live/DZez3zbZ49

Above is to the live video from my coop, where I pretty much constantly watch my chickens while I work.

Last edited: May 8, 2017
  2. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Stuck back in the 40s Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    Nice looking coop and gorgeous birds!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by