My Chickens SOUR CROP... CURED!

caca4chickens

Chirping
May 28, 2013
SOUR CROP CURED!

Last night, my mom and I were in our pantry where we keep our chickens in a huge box (because they are not quite old enough to be outside) and when were were changing their bedding, we let them just go on the floor so its not a big hassle. When we were done changing the bedding and picking them all up, my mom picked up our Black Copper Maran (1 month&3 weeks old) and noticed a big squishy ball on her chest. We knew she kept spitting up some water and when I did research I knew it came from a crop and just figured she was full (of water). We both decided to wait and see in the morning.
***** By the morning, I went to go check on her and the large squishy ball was still there. I did research the night before -when we noticed the enlarged crop- and sprung into chicken expert mode
smile.png

WHAT I DID WAS.... separated my chicken from the rest of the flock.
Even though sour crop is not contagious, I could not have her eating any of the food the other chickens are able to eat. I pulled out a separate box, filled it with bedding, and placed her in it. Then, I put some water in it that you MIX WITH APPLE CIDER VINEGAR. Make sure the chicken at least drinks some. This helps with digesting. You should not feed the chicken for at least about 15 minutes- that is what i did- (some may say a bit longer) and CAN NOT give the chicken any chicken food- it is yeast based.
What is stuck in the crop is left over food not being digested, becoming "spoiled" (aka sour) and yeast is building up. What you should feed her is..
EGGS WITH OLIVE OIL AND SOME WHOLE MILK YOGURT. Do this twice a day.
DON'T FORGET TO MASSAGE THE CHICKEN'S CROP!!

My mom massaged the chicken's crop about two hours later, and she threw up and you would not believe how much food was stuck in there. Though I was lucky and it worked in only two hours, it may take longer for you, so keep at it!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom