my chickens won't eat their food!

cappadocia

In the Brooder
5 Years
Feb 10, 2014
maypearl, tx
Okay maybe I'm just getting worked up over nothing, but here is the situation. I got 2 ameraucana hens, a buff orpington hen, and a cochin rooster several weeks ago. Since I have had them I have noticed them losing weight. They are free range and forage the entire day with treats here or there, specifically meal worms, sunflower seeds, apples, bananas, and kale. I feed them layer crumbles but the only one who eats it is the rooster he even tries to get the ladies to eat it by tidbitting but they wont have anything to do with the stuff. They are all laying just fine, but all 3 hens breast bone is very prominent when I feel around. Im sure once the spring finally gets here and the bugs and grass are out they will be just fine, but what do I do in the meantime? Should I be worried about this? Maybe they dont like their food? I have been researching formulating my own rations as I believe that would be healthier for all of us and hopefully my girls will like homemade rations as opposed to the store bought stuff. I have tried adding water to their food as well and though they peck at it for a few minutes they quickly loose interest and wont go back to the feeder for the rest of the day. Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

I found my girls not eating much of their food so I have been keeping them in the coop a little longer in the morning. That did the trick for me. They want to eat in the morning and if the only option is what is in the feeder they will eat it. Once I let them out they don't want to go back in the coop for a snack. I had to put the water outside because they were not drinking enough now that the weather is nicer. Good luck :)

Hi there, You could try them with some cooked oatmeal mix some probiotic yoghurt in with it and see if they will eat that (stand back, they're messy eaters and oatmeal travels). If they eat that plus all the treats it may be they just don't want the crumbles - have you tried pellets?
Any evidence of worms?? Can you take a poop sample in to a vet and get it tested?

I tend to think chickens know what is best for them. If they find enough to eat free ranging then they are fine. Mine hardly eat the feed I buy but I give them snacks. The one supplement I think important right now is greens because there isn't any around this time of year. They love cabbage and its cheap.

Hi there, You could try them with some cooked oatmeal mix some probiotic yoghurt in with it and see if they will eat that (stand back, they're messy eaters and oatmeal travels). If they eat that plus all the treats it may be they just don't want the crumbles - have you tried pellets?
Any evidence of worms?? Can you take a poop sample in to a vet and get it tested?
I will try that and see it they will eat it. I just got set up with azure standard to start receiving bulk grains so I am going to make my own feed. Hopefully formulating my own rations will solve this problem! Oh and this is the recipe I am going to give a go http://www.gardenbetty.com/2013/04/homemade-whole-grain-chicken-feed-updated-and-now-corn-free/

I found my girls not eating much of their food so I have been keeping them in the coop a little longer in the morning. That did the trick for me. They want to eat in the morning and if the only option is what is in the feeder they will eat it. Once I let them out they don't want to go back in the coop for a snack. I had to put the water outside because they were not drinking enough now that the weather is nicer. Good luck :)
I stopped keeping their food in their coop because every time i let them out and went to fill the feeder i always found it knocked over and since the only time they go back in the coop is when they lay and egg or when its time to go in for the night i figured i would just keep food and water outside for them instead.

I tend to think chickens know what is best for them. If they find enough to eat free ranging then they are fine. Mine hardly eat the feed I buy but I give them snacks. The one supplement I think important right now is greens because there isn't any around this time of year. They love cabbage and its cheap.
I have not tried giving them cabbage yet but they do love kale and spinach. I do agree with you that they probably do know whats best for them that being said i think they are probably wondering why I'm trying to feed them unrecognizable crumbly stuff and not real food.

so I am going to make my own feed. Hopefully formulating my own rations will solve this problem! Oh and this is the recipe I am going to give a go http://www.gardenbetty.com/2013/04/homemade-whole-grain-chicken-feed-updated-and-now-corn-free I do agree with you that they probably do know whats best for them that being said i think they are probably wondering why I'm trying to feed them unrecognizable crumbly stuff and not real food.
Curious if they liked the new blend?

my pullets do the same thing!
I have them on grower since they are 15 weeks. They don’t eat much of it.

Curious if they liked the new blend?

my pullets do the same thing!
I have them on grower since they are 15 weeks. They don’t eat much of it.
If they were fine on starter you could have kept them on it. I would not give treats of any kind until you know they are eating the feed. Did you go from crumbles to pellet and now they don’t like the pellets?

If they were fine on starter you could have kept them on it. I would not give treats of any kind until you know they are eating the feed. Did you go from crumbles to pellet and now they don’t like the pellets?
They don’t eat much of starter either. When I went to the feed store I bought a starter/ grower blend. It was all they had. And it is medicated. I since then went back to original blend. They just prefer to forge in the dirt for food.
Treats are usually veggies like parsley from the garden.
Maybe I should just leave them locked in run for a day.

I understand they free range, wonderful! Wish mine could. My question is do they have a run at all? Obviously they love the outdoors, true for all chickens. Most only go inside the coop to sleep and lay eggs. My thought is they don't want to be bothered going indoors just to eat. I'd try hanging a feeder (so they can't knock it over) in the run under a roof covered area, maybe a tarped section so rain and snow isn't a problem. I'd lock them in the run for a few days with the feeder. They'll eat whatever vegetation and bugs are available, then turn to the feed. After they start eating feed regularly start letting them free range again. I believe they will develop a taste for the feed and balance their eating between feed and natures bounty.

I understand they free range, wonderful! Wish mine could. My question is do they have a run at all? Obviously they love the outdoors, true for all chickens. Most only go inside the coop to sleep and lay eggs. My thought is they don't want to be bothered going indoors just to eat. I'd try hanging a feeder (so they can't knock it over) in the run under a roof covered area, maybe a tarped section so rain and snow isn't a problem. I'd lock them in the run for a few days with the feeder. They'll eat whatever vegetation and bugs are available, then turn to the feed. After they start eating feed regularly start letting them free range again. I believe they will develop a taste for the feed and balance their eating between feed and natures bounty.
So I throw treats in the hanging feeder.
Like corn.
Yes we have an enclosed safe run. I have left them locked up when we travel. They have enough water and food for a week. We usually only leave for 24 - 36 hours

Back
Top Bottom