My chicks are afraid of me. So discouraged.

MLM

In the Brooder
Mar 17, 2021
Hi Everyone!
First time trying to raise chickens. They are about 3 1/2 weeks old. They are so afraid of me. I have always tried to pet them, interact with them but now they scream and fly out of their baby pool where they live, for the time being. Then I try to catch them to put them back in and chaos erupts. Then I spend the next half hour cleaning poop off my floor. Theirs not mine lol. It’s so difficult to even feed them and change their water. I really tried to do all the research and webinars I could. Perhaps I was just not prepared properly. I look at all the photos of chicks chilling with their humans and running up to them with glee. Mine are worse every day. I guess I’m just looking for a little encouragement. Thank you!

Attachments

• 13841532-F021-4D8F-9374-98E157FA7CFE.jpeg
    13841532-F021-4D8F-9374-98E157FA7CFE.jpeg
    511.2 KB · Views: 39
I am a first time chicken owner, so this is my very limited experience.

From 1-4 weeks old when my ladies where in the house brooder. I sat with my hand full of food for 15-30 minute sessions. They learned not to completely fear me. Eating from my hand, no petting just me talking in my normal level. They got used to me sitting with them but didn't like to be handled.
20210403_141745.jpg

I moved them to the enclosed coup at about 4 weeks, so they didn't have my company as often. I was worried I'd loss what trust I had gained. So, more of me sitting with the coup open, sometimes holding food - often just me talking and watching (blocking the exit). They always come up to see what I have or what I'm doing. I would weekly take out Greek yogurt and "spoon feed" them. (Hold out a spoonful and let them eat from it.) So, that helped them want to see me. At this time I had two ladies that would come sit in my hand or crawl on my arm.
20210412_182430.jpg

Now at ~8 weeks. I have a few that come and sit on me. I went full crazy chicken lady and am so fortunate to live this dream. Weather permitting I sit outside for at least 10 mins in the run (often much longer). Sometimes listening to audio books, often just sitting there decompressing from my day. I bring food, treats, yard weeds, kitchen scraps, etc. I let them eat and let them come to me. Most of them want to be near me. They will perch near me. Some want or tolerate pets, others just want to sit near me no touching.
20210504_184257.jpg

20210513_153138.jpg

Dandelion is my star in these pictures. She flys up to my chest or shoulder if I am standing. Or hops into my lap & arms, if sitting. She is the most friendly. The other SLW will sit near me but gets annoyed when I pet her chest. So I leave her alone. Unless I mix them up but I figure it out quickly I was wrong.

So, my limited experience advice is: go sit there with them, hand out with food. Be patient & persistent. I wish you luck!

When they grow up their personalities will bloom beautifully and you will not regret it, don't feel discouraged.
There are a lot of ways to bond with your chickens, a saying that I like to say is that a way to a chicken's heart is its crop. So feed them like crazy by hand.
Since they are babies you can't interact with them all too much because going down to their level is difficult and you should not feed babies too many treats. Pick up a handful of feed and place your hand, in an upward cupped position. Put the hand near ground level and wait, after some time they will start moving again, and eventually find your hand. After some time some little bold ones might jump on your hand.
Another tip is that they love eggs so give them some scrambled eggs from time to time.
Best luck!

Trying to catch them sets you back, it confirms to them that they should be scared. Seeing the others scared and then lifted away scared also confirms and reinforces their fear.
Start with setting up so you don't have to try to catch them. Then move slowly, quietly and predictably and not directly at them or looking directly at them. And, yes, not from above.

I've found the harder I try the more edgy they become. The whole stay at their level (to include your hands going into their space) is a game changer until they get to know your voice and recognize your movements. As many have said around here... chasing a chicken is futile no matter how old they are. They are all flight, no fight. Let them get comfy and come to you. Treats matter.
I'm trying to get some hen raised chicks to warm up to me currently and that is TOUGH! Even though their mama loves me. I have brahmas and buckeyes which are pretty social. The breed traits can definitely matter

Very cute chicks! I have pretty much the same advice as everyone else. Spend time on their level, put some food in your hand and let them come to you, make sure to move slowly. Also, your clothes can make a difference. Last year's chicks were terrified of my daughter's brown and pink plaid pants and my husband's green plaid shirt. Not of people in general or of other plaids, just those 2 items... My daughter once scared them, quickly changed pants, came back in and the ran up to her chirping as if saying"did you see that scary monster a minute ago??" 😂
Even though it seems like it from all the pictures, not every chicken can become a lap chicken. I have 7 adult chickens, only 1 loves to snuggle. 2 others will sometimes sit on my lap. The rest can be handled and will sometimes sit by me if I'm on the ground, but they didn't even start that until they were several months old and we spent HOURS with them as chicks. Have patience and they will eventually get there😊

Hi. Welcome to the wonderful world of chickens! Remember that in nature chickens are prey. Being afraid of everything is hard-wired into them to keep them safe. Everything in the world that is not chicken is pretty much a chicken eater. They are babies, so this instinct is very strong in them. It takes time and patience to overcome this instinct.

Some chickens have this instinct stronger than others. My Leghorns never got over it, they are still like wild birds even though they are now two years old. My tamest birds were my Orpingtons. So how easy your birds will be to tame may depend on what kind they are.

Spending a lot of time with them quietly will help. Very quietly. Take a book or game with you and just sit quietly by them. Sit on the floor. Sprinkle dried mealworms on your lap. It will help to wear an apron. Just let them relax around you and hop up on you to eat the worms. Don't try to grab them or pet them. Just let them get used to you at first. Talk quietly to them. When they trust you, then you can begin to try touching them. The others are right about chasing them. That just makes you a scary monster! Good luck!

Having real calm and trusting chicks is amazing but there definitely is more to raising chickens than getting it right every time. To start with we all make mistakes. Sometimes we do things perfect and still things don't end up perfect, like cockerel turning nice or not.

Recently I decided to put one of my young cocks down. I'm still nagged with doubts whether it was the right thing to do as he had beautiful colors but he was such an angry boy.

So I've raised quite a few chicks this year and this one was a single chick but not the only single chick I've had but he was just so angry, every time I checked on them he raised his neck feathers, started pecking his brooder mate and then started crowing and would not shut up as soon as he was able to.

I've got some lovely cockerels by now that will jump on my shoulder, tolerate other cockerels and not crow much but this one was so angry all the time I felt I had to get rid of him but I wonder if there was anything I could have done to save him a home here.

I wish every chicken I've had would have turned out lovely but there have been birds that have annoyed me too.

Once they have that distrust and fear in them it is so hard to get them out of it.

Catching them is not something they like and if it is done too often without rewarding them then they will start to resent getting picked up.

I only try to pick up my birds if I need to move them, otherwise there is no need to pick up a chicken and overhandling them can backfire and make them not like you I think, they like their space and someone who looks after them, once they start getting "molested" they protest. They really don't like to be cuddled like dogs do.

So your menthality should be to let them come to you, not you dictate where they go, I would hold a handful of seeds out and make them follow you instead of picking them up and moving them as an example.

I have 8 week old ducks that were terrified of me up until a week or so ago. They really warmed up to me once they moved outside and I started digging up worms for them, but I don’t think I’ll ever be able to pick them up or anything. I don’t really mind since I don’t feel the need to train chickens or ducks into being super cuddly animals, though. You just have to be calm and patient and respect that they’re prey animals. The longer you feed them and don’t kill them, the more comfortable they’ll get.

Back
Top Bottom