My chicks are allergic to... new experiences?

maryn7

Songster
Apr 29, 2020
NE Illinois
Alright - here is a weird one.

So my four chicks will be four weeks old this week. They sneeze on occasion - they're on pine flakes, lots of feathers coming in and their crumble has some dust. No worries. I've checked them over - nothing else to suggest a respiratory infection. And I got them at the feed store only a couple hours after they arrived and the feed store sources from Cackle, so I feel confident in their biosecurity.

They're brooding in my laundry room, so their first field trips were on the rug (they save their cecal poops for the rug, obviously). They sneezed a lot more frequently during the field trips initially (cat fur, dust?), but this stops maybe after their third time out.

This past weekend, it was finally warm enough to take them outside (in a mosquito tent set up in advance - open bottom - to protect the precious babies from avian flu). The set of chicks I had two years ago were FURIOUS any time they weren't outside after their first field trip; never even looked back after the first time on grass. I've had this set of chicks out twice now, and they mostly want to sit on me. And, you guessed it, they sneeze constantly! So I'm sitting in a tent, getting chick snot on me, and that was before what I'm guessing is stress diarrhea (also on me). Take them back in to the brooder, the sneezing stops and the poops all go back to normal.

Yesterday, on the safety of the laundry room rug (precious babies), I offer them wet feed for the first time. The chicks quickly determine this is obvious poison. But on their second outing of the day, one of them accidently tries some and, lo and behold, it is delicious. They all dig in.

And immediately start sneezing. Munch, sneeze, munch, sneeze, walk over to me, sneeze on me. Back in the brooder, all good. I can hear them running and peeping happily from here. Not a sneeze to be heard.

What the heck? I'm not even particularly worried about their health, so much as concerned I have raised a group of 1980s movie dorks: soft cowards addicted to nasal spray.

Anyone... seen anything like this?

I'd probably do a quick visual inspection of the nostrils - Any visual blockage? Any discharge?
*note, just a visual inspection, no need to go probing

On a side note, something I do for my brooder chicks is to set up an air purifier in the same room. Mitigates some stink but also removes some dust from the air. This may help if it is just airborne irritants.

There's nothing that I can see physically, and no discharge in the nose or eyes, anything like that. When they are in sneeze-mode, they do actually sneeze out clear liquid once they've been going a while.

It really is like if I haven't taken my allergy pill; all of a sudden, lots of sneezing and related nasal symptoms, and then back to normal.

I did pick one of them up today, and have her quite close to my face. (The sweet little moron tried to eat a piece of paper about an inch square during today's rug field trip.... I was literally pulling it out of her tiny throat as she fought to get it down - these chicks are so weird).

I could hear her breathing and she sounded maybe a little stuffy? But I've also never held a freaked out, hyperventilating chick that close to my head before. Mostly because none of them have had to have their beaks pried open to remove large, obviously inedible things before. :rolleyes:

And I'd think about the purifier if it didn't seem to be the fresh outside air that causes them the most concern. I'm obviously overly-indulgent (i.e. this thread exists), but draw the line at purifying the outdoor coop! :)

As Sally suggested, I guess I'll just see if third time's the charm on "being outdoors animals". They are so cute, and I love them... and I want them out of my house! 😂

An update. The third time was not the charm! They just stood in their huddle box, unless I was physically in the tent, whereupon it was party time. But the party was sneezing and pooping on me.

Finally shifted them out to the coop and run on Friday. And, they're all of a sudden brave little birds that act like pullets and don't sneeze! My best guess is that my back room was too stuffy for them (so that's @Battlepants for the win), and the symptoms when I had them outside was just them clearing out their little nasal passages.

They're doing great. I have them outside all day today. It's only in the 50s, so I put their hot plate out with them. And they're having the best time.

Now just to acclimate my big girls. My head hen just wants to eat them (so far three of the four littles have fallen for "let's meet over by the chicken wire; surprise: I'm going to eat your beak off your face" - she got blood from the Australorp, poor little thing).

But my bigger problem is my brahma, who is TERRIFED of them. When I showed her them in the coop in their little sectioned off area, she started panicking and hyperventilating. (I though she'd come down with some *other* respiratory thing, but she's fine). I've had to go out both mornings at dawn because as soon as she can see they exist, she screams her head off, frantic to be let out of the coop. And she walked out to the run today after laying her egg, and she made such a ruckus when she saw the babies I thought she was being eaten or on fire. She's so sweet and easygoing, I figured she'd try to mother them.

But no.

So apparently all my chickens are allergic to new experiences. But it appears the little ones are the perfect, brave, precious babies we all knew them to be.

And I have neglected to pay the chick tax. Here they are in the run, enjoying a sand bath. And the little olive egger facing down the two bigs.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220501-161106.png
    Screenshot_20220501-161106.png
    696.4 KB · Views: 12
  • Screenshot_20220501-161209.png
    Screenshot_20220501-161209.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 12
🙋‍♀️ me me! I have seen this! My chicks are also allergic to new experiences! I just made an account so I could reply to your thread because I am so glad my chicks aren't the only ones. They are about 20 days old and I ordered directly from Cackle Hatchery; 3 Brahma bantams and 3 RIR bantams. No signs of illness when inside in their brooder, on aspen shavings, and I keep it pretty clean.

The first time I took them outside they lasted about 5 minutes before bursting into simultaneous sneeze that lasted the entire time I had them out. Pretty much the moment they returned to their brooder they stopped sneezing. I haven't taken them outside since that first time about a week ago because the weather has been crap, but I do bring them out onto my couch sometimes. I haven't brought them out in a few days though, and I think some of them forgot about it; the moment they were all together on the couch and being fed banana for the first time the sneezing began. Poop too. But just so much sneezing. So much sneezing that I googled "chicks sneezing with new experiences" and landed here (I was a member of this forum about 18 years ago when I had 4-H chickens so I knew someone here would know what was up! Or at least would have experienced this 😅).

All this to say I am so glad I found your post and that my chicks do not suddenly have some terrible respiratory illness. Here's to hoping they develop some bravery in the weeks to come! 😂

Welcome back to BYC! I am delighted to tell you - if you didn't see it above - that my chicks are also from Cackle.

Looking forward to when you get them outside and they relentlessly tear apart old logs (given to them for perching) and eat the wood. Mine are like mutts chewing a stick.

(Below is what remains of the log next to the feeder in the first pic above. Also pictured, my LB, who is not responsible for the log.)

IMG_20220524_171512053_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220605_140643996.jpg

These chicks are super chill, have adapted to a challenging integration situation (LB pictured above *is* responsible for that) and I adore them. But they remain weird little freaks, even though they don't sneeze anymore.

Welcome back to BYC! I am delighted to tell you - if you didn't see it above - that my chicks are also from Cackle.

Looking forward to when you get them outside and they relentlessly tear apart old logs (given to them for perching) and eat the wood. Mine are like mutts chewing a stick.

(Below is what remains of the log next to the feeder in the first pic above. Also pictured, my LB, who is not responsible for the log.)

View attachment 3140816
View attachment 3140827

These chicks are super chill, have adapted to a challenging integration situation (LB pictured above *is* responsible for that) and I adore them. But they remain weird little freaks, even though they don't sneeze anymore.
I did see yours are also from Cackle and it gave me a laugh! (I just did ALL I could do avoid saying it gave me a cackle).

I thought it was just because these are my first "city chickens"...I've never had chickens as a city dweller before and I'm not used to keeping them inside SO much, but maybe instead it is just something in those Cackle genes that makes them so darn...special 😅. At least it sounds like there is an end to the sneezing in sight. I just need to get them out more asap so they stop karate kicking each other in the brooder.

I believe it💁 I have an overly dramatic duck "Yellow". If I put any form of bandage on her she will act like she is dying. I'm talking practically scream quaking, laying down like her feet aren't working, panting the whole nine yards. The first time it happened I thought I wrapped her foot too tight, but when I checked it I could stick a finger under her wrap no problem. So I decided to do a test, took the first bandage off and loosely wrapped a big loop of vet wrap around her foot. It was so loose that if she would have walked away instead of being dramatic acting like she was on deaths door the piece of wrap would have fallen right off, but nope. She decided to act like this piece of wrap that was barely even hanging on her foot was killing her. If I wouldn't have seen it with my own eyes I wouldn't have believed it. I even brought my husband out to watch my vet wrap experiment with the Yellow Diva just to clarify that I wasn't loosing my mind.

I did see yours are also from Cackle and it gave me a laugh! (I just did ALL I could do avoid saying it gave me a cackle).
I would have met the pun with joy, as I did just now. Good luck with your littles - please let me know what antics they get up to as they age.

Back
Top Bottom