My chicks are battering each other!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Dewsetter, Jul 19, 2011.

1. Dewsetter

Dewsetter Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2011
    Liverpool, England
    Is it usual for chicks to beat each other up? This is my second hatch and my last ones were angels. These 5 are now two days old (all large fowl of different breeds) and they are always squabbling and pecking each other. Sometimes they even end up with a beak full of down from dragging each other about, sometimes it's by a wing which really makes them swear! It's not just one chick who is the culprit either, they all seem to have a go at one another. They never seem to do any damage but it's horrible to watch. Is this normal behaviour? I am hoping it's just a temporary phase and they will grow out of it in a day or so, is this likely to happen?
    Many thanks in advance.

2. dianaross77

dianaross77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2010
    Grand Blanc, MI
    Well, that sounds brutal. But if they're all doing it and no one is drawing blood, I'd let them sort it out. I would've thought overcrowding could be an issue but since there's only five unless you're keeping them in a shoebox, they should be fine.

3. CinnamonQueen12

CinnamonQueen12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2011
    They could be stressed. Have you lowered the wattage of the bulb, or even switched the white light out for a red one. (if you are using a white light) If nothing works, try separating them for a few days, see if that works.

4. Dewsetter

Dewsetter Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2011
    Liverpool, England
    Thanks guys, the brooder is quite big but I am warming up a huge one as I type, if only to give them more room to run away!
    The light I am using although it is infrared has got a large white spot in the middle of the bulb (I don't know why???) so the new brooder has got red only.
    Thanks once again

5. m.r.heavenlyhens

m.r.heavenlyhens Out Of The Brooder

Jul 19, 2011
    I had a problem with a group of chicks that I had under a regular light bulb. I think that I read here at BYC to make sure and have a red light heat bulb and it really did seem to stop the picking of the chicks at each other. I hope it helps. misty

6. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I would use a red bulb too. I think it is more calming.

7. hcppam

hcppam Chillin' With My Peeps

everyone always talks about red bulbs? I used a regular during the day and a black reptile bulb at night more work, but everyone got some sleep. LOL

Last edited: Jul 20, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by