my chicks are bleeding... (posted pics)

RECE*2C*

In the Brooder
9 Years
May 21, 2010
oswego
we put our chicks out 3 days ago at first we did not have it covered and they got out and i found one in the next door neighbors yard and one in my front yard in a bush so last night we covered it with chicken wire and i just went out to check on them and there combs are bloody
barnie.gif
i dont know what to do these are my first chicks and i dont want them to die.
is there anything i can do or will it stop by its self?

Last edited:
What is their setup like? Can you describe the coop/run? How big is it? Seems to me that they either injured themselves or they are stressed out and pecking each other. Are all of them bloody? Have You been able to sit and observe their activity? How many birds do you have and how old are they?

Were they bleeding when you found them in the neighbors yard and your front yard? What type of enclosure do you have them in?

Are the holes small enough they can't stick their heads through? If the holes are big enough then that may be what caused the combs to become bloody.

Are any of them roosters? What are their ages, because if they are quite young you may not be able to tell male from female? If they are old enough to tell the difference the rooster could be trying to mate with the pullets and pulling them by the combs, therefore causin the bloody comb?

sorry but can you post some pictures:)

my day old EE's comb started to bleed as well....i watched her for a while and it was from trying to stick her head through the top of the brooder..she would jump up and hit her comb on the wire...i had to move her to the taller brooder to keep her from reaching the top...her comb healed after that.

there coop is 3` X 4` ans it is 3` in the front and 2 1/2 ` in the back. i only have 2 and i posted picks a few days ago and only on person replied and said they think they are both roosters and they are about 5 weeks old. they both have blood on them (it not like dripping off but it is a pretty big part of the comb that is bloody and i dont know how long it has been like that) . i havent been able to watch them yet i just got home . they were not bloody when i found them out in the yards it happen today i know that for sure. i kind of thought the they might have tried to jump out again but im not sure.

i will try to get pictures and post them.

thanks for the help.

you cant really see it in the pics
58232_061510153412.jpg

58232_061510153335.jpg

58232_061510153246.jpg

this the coop/run
58232_061510153545.jpg

58232_061510153608.jpg

they cant fit there heads throw the wire
58232_061510153522.jpg

Last edited:
looks like the injuries are in the front...just like my EE...i had the same wire on the top....their heads don't fit but if they are jumping to try and get out the wire is cutting their combs...if you could make the run taller i bet that will help....my EE is 3wks old and is trying to fly all over the place!!! i won't be surprised to start finding injuries on her till we get her out in the big run....if you can't make it taller you try different wire.
hu.gif

I was out there with them for a wile and they werent jumping up any more if thats what it was but i have other smaller holed wire that i can put on the top.

thank out for you help. i really appreciate it.

I agree that it is probably from them trying to flap around or get out. If it is possible for you to make the attached run taller, I would try that....also, try putting some interestingly stuff in their run for them to Peck at so they can occupy themselves. A branch of wood, half a head of cabbage, etc.....and a little dish of grit.

My girls will flap around and try to fly in their run all the time. Even with smaller wire they may hurt themselves.

Goodluck!

i was out there with them for a while last night and i wat ched then throw the window and i dont think there jumping any more thank god but i put some treats in there in case they get bored and it looks dry now so i think they will be ok

thanks for all the help and i am going to try to get some stuff to make it higher too.

Back
Top Bottom