My chicks are dropping like flies, anyone?

Remudamom

Songster
11 Years
Oct 10, 2008
West of the Mississippi
The heat is right, the water and food are right, every day I find 1-3 more dead chicks. Should I move them into a different coop? Clean out everything and start over.

I am just sick. These were silkies and d'uccles in colors I did not have and they are dying every. single. day.

How old are these chicks? Do they have access to ground? If so, I would treat for coccidiosis...

They were shipped May 23 from Ideal poultry. 10 were hatched from my own silkie eggs. Never been outside. They look fine, then get lethargic, then are dead within 12 hours. Not pasty butt.

Any ideas welcome. I'm getting desperate not to lose all the babies. I started out with about 50. Down to 28

Treat for cocci immediately. I'm currently treating my eight rhode island red chicks for it, it's not a fun thing.

Bloody poop is the end stage symptom of coccidia. If you wait to see bloody poop, they will all be dead. Bloody poop means that the coccidia has eaten away at the intestinal lining until so much damage is done that the intestines are bleeding. Most times it is then too late to treat. Babies can come from the hatchery with coccidia...they can get it from each other's poo. Treat now with Corid.

Okay, everyone is on the Corid now. I made my baby chick space smaller for just a while so there's no chance anyone will miss getting a drink asap. I'll go give them more room in about 15 minutes.

I dumped out all the water they drink everywhere on the farm and put out waterers with Corid in them. Even moved the dog and cat water bowls. I hope this solves the problem. Thanks for all the help.

Back
Top Bottom