My chicks are getting harassed!!

marlene

Songster
8 Years
Aug 17, 2011
UK
My hen had 2 chicks 8 weeks ago and she has been a great mum, well she had been up until last week. I have been watching her closely for the last few days as she is being very nasty to the chicks, she is chasing them and pecking them all day.
And its not because they are going to her, they might be strolling around and she just runs up to them pecks and chases them. Why has she turned on them? I am worried as i have 7 chicks that i am getting ready to integrate with this hen and the other 2 chicks, she is already trying her hardest to get to the other chicks that are in a seperate run with in her run.
Any ideas on how to deal with her?

She's probably to the point where she'd raised the chicks enough to be on their own, and now they need to get in line with the pecking order. Separate her from the group, then reintroduce her after a few days. The youngsters will have sorted things out and then the aggressor is now the newbie.

She is in the process of weaning her chicks. I would move her to a seperate area before integrating the other chicks. It is almost a given that she will attack them.

Thank you all for the replies.
So move her away for a day or two and while she is away introduce the new chicks?? When i let her back with the others is there a chance she will still try and attack the chicks?. I am scared that she will hurt them but i will try and see what happens.

How old are your 7 chicks that you are introducing to the 2 chicks who are 8 weeks old? They should be close in size to introduce to each other, so they can defend themselves, and I would probably separate them with a little fence between the 2 groups for a week. I would remove the hen, but is she your only other adult chicken? Does she have a group to go back to?

The chicks are 5 weeks old and there is 1 other hen but she doesn't seem bothered that the chicks are around. The chicks are in the same coop but locked away at night so the older ones can't get to them and in the day they are with in the run but sectioned off in a rabbit run. Maybe i am best waiting a while longer before i let the 5 week olds join the rest.

Back
Top Bottom