My chicks are getting poop on themselves!

BrynnRDH

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 10, 2011
I have three chicks about a week old, and they are starting to get poop stuck in their fuzz. Not pasty butt, but poop on their backs or necks. They must be laying in it or pooping on each other! Should I wash them off, or will it hurt them?

I have the same problem! Mine are a week old also.. I just get a paper towel wet with warm water and wipe it off, they don't much like it, but I don't want to see the poop all over them! It takes a minute, but it does come off! Hope that helps!

poop on them wont hurt them. and they will outgrow their fuzz in 2 weeks and start growing in real feathers so dont worry too much about it
smile.png

What do you have on the floor of the brooder? Maybe it is time for pine shavings? This will absorb the poop a bit better and the little guys won't get as dirty as quickly.

I find I must change paper towels 2 - 3 times a day when they are on them.
sickbyc.gif

Also they may need a bigger brooder more space might keep them from playing in their poop.
roll.png

-Keara

Washing poop of a chick will NOT hurt it however it is only neccesary when it is stuck on there butt and therefore must be washed of right away because it could result in death.

A little poop never hurt anyone. Washing a chick that may get chilled from the bath is far more dangerous.

Offer them something to dustbath in, a pan of sand or loose dirt. They'll take care of their poopy feathers.

I have had chickens over 20 years.

I just bought new peeps today and several had poop stuck. this will prevent them from pooping if the poop covers the exit. You do not to get the bird wet as this can cause them to get sick as well. I will use the end of a paper towel to soften to poop and pull it off or just pull it off slowly. This will cause the feather to be pulled out but will not hurt your bird.

Thank you everyone for your advice! I do have pine shavings down now, so they might need a bigger brooder. The poop doesn't really bother me, I just don't want them wearing it if it's unhealthy, which it sounds like it's not.

Back
Top Bottom