My chicks are going outside. Do I need to feed grit?!?!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by gumpsgirl, Apr 10, 2008.

1. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    It is going to be close to 80 degrees here today (woo-hoo!) and I thought it would be a perfect day for my chicks first outing. If they go outside, do they need grit? I don't have any on hand, as they have only been eating the starter feed/chick crumbles. So, what I am asking is, should I wait to take them outside until I have grit on hand to feed them?!?! Thanks! [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 10, 2008
  2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Put a bowl of feed and the waterer out with them if you plan to leave them out a while. With whatever grass they eat they will most likely pick up dirt and sand from pecking the ground and will be fine. I have an old baby gate corral thing I put my chicks out in. They do fine out by themselves under protection. I have my geese out this morning too. Not the bidy babies but the older ones.

3. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Quote:My babies are 3 weeks old and pretty well feathered. Is it okay for them to go outside?

4. Cheep Mama

Cheep Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2008
    Michigan
    The chicks will be fine going outside for some playtime. Mine are 3 1/2 weeks and they love going out. Just make sure they are in a secure enclosure.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by