My chicks are hardier than I first thought!!

mnhomeschoolmom

In the Brooder
10 Years
Oct 15, 2009
MN
My babies are 18 days old and have been out in the coop(in brooder box) since Saturday. Unless it's very cold we've been letting them out of the brooder for at least 1/2 an hour a day to run and play in the coop. The coop has a cement floor in the middle(with pine shavings) and about 2 feet of dirt running along along each side. They LOVE the space and digging in the dirt. They're even taking little dust baths! We're in Mn and have had some days with highs in the 40's and nights even cooler. I am so surprised at how hardy these girls really are. We've been very careful and watching their behavior but even at night when we check on them they just peep pleasantly!
smile.png

FYI...Our brooder box is about 4'x2' with 2 heat lamps, it sits on a table. The coop itself is connected to a pole barn and was formerly used as a greenhouse, we just converted half of it. It's a 12'x9.5' space and when the sun shines it can get quite warm! We love those days(all 2 of them in as many weeks!!), we can actually turn off the brooder lamps and let the girls have the coop all afternoon.

This all gets me thinking we better get our run completed, they'd probably enjoy some outside time before long.
smile.png

-Tracey

We are up near Duluth, and we have a batch of chicks that will be 2-weeks old tomorrow. They are growing up right in the coop with the 2 broody bantams that adopted and hatched their eggs.

The little buggers have made it out into the run already! I put a 2x6 across the inside of the door when they moved down to the floor from the nest boxes so that they would stay in, but darned it all if they weren't hopping right up and out after a week. When I saw that happen, I pulled the board right back off so they didn't get trapped outside and freeze.

They didn't stay out long before they came scooting back in to the warmth of the heat lamp, though.
lol.png

Chooks, I'm encouraged! And now my husband really wants to get the run done. At least a temporary structure til spring. I know we'll want it bigger then!

Now, about your avatar pic...I think I'm supposed to say something challenging about the big border battle game thing going on tomorrow afternoon. I have no idea what, though!!lol Something about Favre choosing the better team to play with, maybe?!?
lol.png
Seriously, I do hope MN wins, but for me it's just a designated naptime! It'll no doubt be an exciting game!
smile.png

-Tracey

Back
Top Bottom