My chicks are here!

Quote:
Me too!!
caf.gif
:pop

Pictures! Yes, I need to do that and use up the last of the film on the camera. I always do two kinds of pictures, regular and CD. CD pictures from Walgreens are SO darn big though. Anyway, thanks for reminding me.

I just popped out there again on a hunch and thanks to reading (again) the sticky on chick mortality rates, I wised up and threw temp gauge down to a reasonable level. Just so you know, just above my knees which is where the gauge was at is just barely 60 degrees. Under the lamp its pushing almost 100 (yikes) but they seem to like it and several were snoozing happily under it until I started moving about again. Just on the outside of the lamp's light is a comfortable 94 degrees. I will keep checking for pasty butts but most are ok. The one I missed the first time around was really blocked up! It hurt my heart to hear her make such a fuss as cleaned her. She is the weaker of the five runts I have yet the others seem to be doing fine

love.gif
love.gif
love.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif

PICTURE!! I would say pictures but the camera I used apparently was an outside only. Fail boat
smack.gif

Either way, enjoy the ONE that came out on the only camera that had flash.
smile.png

BabyChicksforDesertPlumHomestead.jpg

Last edited:
UPDATE

I lost another one this morning-final count is one Barred Rock and one Red Star. Tsk. They tried bless 'em.

I sold twelve today so I am down to twelve. I think McMurrarys tossed in one extra although I did not ask for the free chick for fear of getting a rooster. Now I can focus on getting them use to my hand, being outisde and such.

Names so far: Cinderella and Stripey (Araucanas), Mina and Lucy (Turkens).

All you guys and your chicks arriving in the mail is KILLING me!!! April can not come fast enough! I have to wait, I have to wait, I have to WAIT!!!!

Question, folks. Its warm in the brooder so the lid is off, door open just under 90 degrees but only JUST. The chicks are spread out sleeping. I'm use to seeing them eating, drinking and maybe one or two dozing. Is this ok? Maybe they are tired from all the moving around this morning? Since they are just a little over two weeks old now, does this mean they don't always eat 24/7 but take short breaks and longer naps?

big_smile.png
So my girls will be three weeks old this friday! I am already thrown off by the colors! I'll have to post some pictures but I am having a hard time telling who from whom. The Delawares are easy as is the Turkens and the Partidge Rock (I think). The NHR, Araucanas/Americana, Blk Australorp and the Barred rocks are tossing me for a loop! I guess one can't tell at three weeks yet, no?

Either way, its awesome how they are trying to fly now, still iffy about me picking them up though but I have a nice method down that isn't as stressful. Two of the Delawares, one Barred Rock and the Araucanas/Americanas are much calmer.

Back
Top Bottom