My chicks are here!!!!!!!

Desirai

Songster
11 Years
Oct 12, 2011
Alabama
Yesterday I got my baby chicks!
They're all cochins, and I don't know the genders or the colors. Please don't spoil the fun :)

So I have oodles of questions~!

They're all between 2 and 4 days old.
How long will they be on chick crumbles?
When can they have treats like vegetables and bugs?
Is it okay that I hold them a lot?
When can they go outside in the grass?
Can I give them toys or something? I gave them a stuffed animal that they chew on.
Is it normal to get the hiccups?

i gave mine one of those plastic cat toy balls with the bell in it and they LOVE that one!! they also have an empty coffee can they love to play on and in too. They seem to like all that is shiny!

they are adorable!!

They are so sweet!

Yes, hold them a lot, and especially feed them treats from your hand. This will help them to see you as their mama.
You can give them plain yogurt, a little shredded cheese, chopped up spaghetti noodles, boiled egg yolk or scrambled eggs right away, and moisten their food with warm water for a treat. In a couple of weeks you can give other stuff but right now stick to high protein.
If the weather is warm, you can take them out after a couple of days for short periods, after a 2 weeks they can go out for longer times. My broody hen had hers outside all day from about 2 weeks on, but then, she's right there to warm them up when they need it.
Hiccups are normal but not frequent.
I've never thought the chicks responded to toys, more food. A small mealworm is fun :) You could also give them some larger fluffy thing to cuddle with when they get cold, like a foster mamma.

QUESTION!!!!!!!!!

Most of their poops are normal curled bird poops but every once in a while I'll see a poop that is extra runny.

Is this normal?

From what I've heard/read about chicken poo, having a runny, dark-colored poo that's REALLY stinky maybe one out of ten times is just normal cecal poo, meaning from the little folds in the intestine, and therefore totally normal. Chick pros out there, does that sound right?

Back
Top Bottom