My chicks are sick, I need help ASAP!

maschickens

Hatching
5 Years
Apr 3, 2014
I need help BAD! My husband and I bought a new chicken. When we got her home she was sneezing, I put her on powder antibiotics and thought she was better by the end of the week, so I put her with 5 of my almost two month old speckled sussex chicks and my silkie hen and now all 5 of my SS chicks are sick and my silkie died the other day from the sickness. I put all them on the powder antibiotics as soon as I seen they were getting sick. So after 5 days on that and my baby dying and now I have a SS chick that is way worse than the others. I started them on RX vet stuff last night since they was not getting better and bought the tylan 50 (injection) (not using yet). What should I do?? Do I do the tylan 50 or keep on the RX vet med?? If I need to do the injection where and how do I do it, how much do I give them......

Eggcessive

Enabler
Premium member
8 Years
Apr 3, 2011
southern Ohio
Vet RX is an herbal remedy, not an antibiotic. Sorry to hear you bought a sick chicken who infected your healthy chicks. Now they all are carriers of a respiratory disease. Many people would recommend putting them all down, cleaning and disinfecting your premises, and waiting a month or two, then starting over with healthy chicks. If you want to treat them, Tylan 50 is the best thing to treat them with 1/2 ml daily for 5 days. Injectable is the best way into the breast muscle, but some give it orally. Sorry that you are dealing with this. Infectious bronchitis, mycoplasma (MG or CRD,) and coryza are the more common diseases. Here is a link to read about those with symptoms: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Last edited:

maschickens

Hatching
5 Years
Apr 3, 2014
Thank you for letting me know. I don't have any clue how to inject ( don't want to hurt it worse) Can I give it orally even though it says injection medication on it??

Top Bottom