1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My chicks aren't growing.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by AAJ, Mar 25, 2012.

1. AAJ

AAJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2011
    I have 13, 10 week old silkie chicks and they are in a raised up box. I put grass and even open it up to let them get light and air. I do not let them on the ground, which might be why but I am not sure. If you can tell me why they aren't growing or have any suggestions, I would very much appreciate it.

2. LaynaDon95

LaynaDon95 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2012
    Texas
    What are you feeding them? Is it a totally closed box or does it have ventilation? How big is the box? Do you have a heat lamp or other source of heat? Chicks without a heat source will grow more slowly. Can you post a picture of them and their environment?

Last edited: Mar 25, 2012
  3. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    Maybe some more info would be helpful, like, what are they being fed? When did you notice they had stopped growing. How big is the "box" you have them in?

Perhaps you could make an attached run for them so that they can go out and scratch around during the day?

4. AAJ

Oct 21, 2011
    Since it has been warm I have lifted the tarp from over them and I am feeding them some breeder and layer crumbles for adults and chicks from dails. the box is not too crowded. I throw some grass in with them.

5. LaynaDon95

Jan 18, 2012
    Texas
    Did you feed them starter when they were little babies? Do they have heat lamp? I don't think anyone can give you a satisfactory answer if you don't tell us more about their environment.

6. AAJ

Oct 21, 2011
    I have always fed them the crumbles from dails and when they were little they had a heat lamp. they would still have a heat lamp if it weren't warm outside.

7. LaynaDon95

Jan 18, 2012
    Texas
    Are they fully feathered? The feed may be contributing to their growth (or lack there of =P) They should have been on starter until 6-8 weeks. They need to be on grower/finisher now.

8. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    Also, 10 weeks old is too early to feed Layer.

9. AAJ

Oct 21, 2011
    They are not fully feathered.

10. LaynaDon95

Jan 18, 2012
    Texas
    I have never had silkies, so I don't know if that breed is different, but as far as I know chicks should be fully feathered by 6-8 weeks.
    What temp is it where you are?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by