My chicks arrived....But?

bheila

Songster
11 Years
Feb 8, 2008
Kent, Wa
I'm not sure where I should post this question so I'll just ask here. I just got my chicks this morning from the PO. I ordered what was supposed to be 25 White Leghorn pullets. Well 8 of them have black spots on them.
idunno.gif
I'm assuming that those 8 are California Whites (I think that's what you call them). I thought White Leghorns were supposed to be all yellow? Should I ask to be reimbursed or have them send me 8 more White Leghorns in my next order. I suppose it isn't that big of a deal but I didn't get what I paid for. I would never do anything like this to any of my customers. Just looking for opinions. This is only the second time I've ordered chicks. Is this very common? Or am I just wrong all together?

I ordered chicks from Ideal in September, 4 of which were supposed to be Mille Fleur d'Uccles. 3 were, but the 4th was a different color. I called and asked why. She said that if they run out of one type, they will often substitute with another color or breed thats close to what you order. She refunded my money without my asking her to though, since it wasn't what I ordered.

I would call them and ask. They might send you more or refund your money.

What hatchery did you order from? I remember when I was reading through breeds on Ideal's website, if you don't specifically order "White Only White Leghorns," they'll put some other leghorn type birds in your order. This is what it says on the White Leghorn page, "Ideal reserves the right to substitute the Ideal 236 unless White Only White Leghorns are ordered." Ideal 236's have a few black spots.

I ordered 25 white leghorn pullets from double r supply and got them last friday. Half of them had black spots. I called and complained and they said they run short of white leghorns so they substatuted the rest with california white leghorns. They apologized and sent me 25 more. I got them in today and there are more of them with black spots this time than there was last week. I called back to let them know that the hatchery they are using isnt doing thier job. With both orders combined I do have 25 pure white leghorns so I wasnt rude I just wanted to let them know. I do appreciate them sending me more but that makes twice and they still didnt get it right. I ordered through them because they were a little cheaper and the shipping was free but I wont do it again. Will the california white leghorns lay as good as the pure white leghorns?

I ordered from Welp. I know that the Californias are basicly the same as the White Leghorns. For me it was the fact that I paid for something I didn't get. I did email them earlier. We'll see what kind of results I get. I can always use more egg layers.

Call them, they will refund your money, or send you free chicks in your next order!

I called because they messed up my order, talked to Sandy (owner) and got it cleared up in about 5 minutes.

-Austin

PS:MAKE SURE YOU DO IT WITH IN THE FIRST 48 HOURS!
smile.png

Last edited:
Many places substitute cali whites and leghorns. I've had both, and honestly, if it wasn't for the 2-3 black feathers on the cali whites, I couldn't tell the difference. All flighty, all with the same build, all love to follow at your heals and scatter as soon as they see you see them, and lay eggs like mad.

So then I should call then instead of emailing them. On the website it says that you must notify them within 48 hours of receiving your chicks if there are any problems with your order. So I called and of coarse they aren't open on the weekends. I left a message. I hope it works. I just wanted the White Leghorns for purebred breeding purposes.

Back
Top Bottom