My chicks can fly!!!

We got ours a week ago, and the little buggers are doing the same thing. It's a riot. They go one by one from one end to the other flying into the piles of sleeping ones. They are just so fun to watch.

Talk about flying chicks/chickens. I usually had heavier breeds so they didn't go far, even as chicks... then I hatched out a big bunch of leghorns... man could they fly. By the time they were about 3 months old, I would routinely see them fly about 150-200 feet across the yard from their cages to over the fence in the front yard... now that the females have started laying though, they only fly like 20 feet if provoked.

My guess woudl be Rhode Island Reds ( redish brown), Barred Rocks (black) and Possibly Leghorn or White Rocks (yellow). Those are very popular breeds and that is what I have seen most often in the feed stores. They sometimes do get in a layer assortment in which case the could be several other breeds.

If you have a digital camera you could post photos and there are many who are great at identifying chicks.

Otherwise goto :http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/BRKPoultryPage.html#Chickens

You can view all the wonderfull breeds and they have photos of chicks. Also Murray McMurray has fairly good photos of chicks
http://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/index.html

Beware enter at your own risk of becoming a Chicken Addict. Once you see all those different breeds you will soon want one of most all of them. Good Luck

D.gif
Thats funny about the chickens flying everywhere! I want to get a couple bantams for the fun of it, they are pretty cute. And as far as the pics of my chickens, my digital cam went out but I do have the cam on my palm pilot, didn't get too good pics of them but you can view them at www.myspace.com/nateschicks and if you go see them, put a comment on here on what you think they are. Thanks guys.

Here they are peeps. Pics didn't turn out too well, still need to get a new cam.
This is one of my chicks with her wing spread, they are getting bigger!
smile.png

Photo_031107_009.jpg

One of my 5 little brownish/red colored chicks
Photo_031107_008.jpg

Another chick
Photo_031107_005-1.jpg

One of the yellow ones! Their wings are showing white feathers growing out. These are twice the size of the black chicks and the brown ones.
Photo_031107_004.jpg

Random pic of chicks in their house
Photo_031107_003.jpg

Another random pic
Photo_031107_002.jpg

Closer pic of yellow chicks
Photo_031107_001.jpg

Last edited:
Their very cute!
love.gif
I would say Barred Rocks, Rhode Island Reds, and White Rocks. Although I'm not as experienced with identifying laying breeds, I have more Bantams. I'm sure someone else will know better than I would.

Back
Top Bottom