My chicks don't like me:-(

My chicken is cuter

Songster
13 Years
Jan 6, 2009
Houston, TX
So here's the deal, I need to get my two twelve week old chicks used to me. I try and play with them but they aren't interested in food, and if I take one out of the cage and not the other they make tons of noise. My White Rock will let me hold her but my RIR doesn't like having her wings confined. Their pen is short so I can't get in there with them.
So I guess my question is, is there a food that chicks simply can't resist? I've tried oatmeal, fruit, lettuce, and pretty much everything my hens eat.
And also, how do I make it so that they get less attached to each other so that I can get in their little circle of friends?
Also, I let them free range every once and A while but they don't do anything, they just walk around. I put some chicken scratch on the ground but they don't acknowledge it.

Thanks in advance.

I call this their "teenager" phase where they just don't like their parents! When they get a little bit older they'll be interested in treats and then you won't be able to keep them away. My older chickens changed personality when they discovered strawberries - at about 18 weeks or so.
Another little trick we use is to hold one while the other is free ranging, you lay her on her side in your lap. If you do it just right they will "hypnotize" and just fall asleep on their sides. Make sure their feet are free and not pressed against you, just lay her down on one wing. It takes practice, but it's great when it works.

Good luck!

I gave mine meal worms and now they come running when I put my hand out
big_smile.png

I have a group of three in my 24 bird flock that didn't get much one on one time and are kind of nervous around me. I have found that simply spending time with them in their run without trying to pet them or pick them up has slowly made them more accepting of me. They no longer run away when I get close and will come close to me if I am still. They are not the lap birds that my RIR"s are though. I suppose it will take time. Good Luck to you!!

mine go crazy over spaghetti or pasta of any kind. They come a runnin' all the way across the yard if they see me coming with pasta. Also I have heard that they get more relaxed and friendlier as they get older. Mine are 4 months and pretty friendly (esp if I have food) but I still have to trick them into getting close enough to pick up quickly. I admit I want them to be those types of chickens who follow you around and beg to be picked up--I really do!!

Back
Top Bottom